Open letter from Dahn Hak “baby” master to YEHA 

단학의 예비 마스터가 YEHA에게 보내는 공개 서한

It’s Amy Shipley- I just wanted to check in. 
나는 에이미 쉬플리로 등록하고자 한다.

When I first started going to the Body and Brain Club at UIC, I couldn’t believe how awesome the training and practice was. I can remember hearing Ricardo say, “I feel this crazy energy in between my palms!” Soon thereafter I went to a YEHA Halloween party and danced for one full hour then did Jung Choong breathing for the first time. The next week I took Shim Sung, and after one week of training took a job working part time in Illinois’ Clark Center. It was awesome and strange at first. I can remember sitting at trainings like PowerBrain Method and kind of feeling a Dahn “hangover,” and not really being able to put my finger on why I felt that way. 
내가 처음 UIC(University of Illinois at Chicago: 일리노이 시카고 대학교)에 있는 Body and Brain Club에 가기 시작했을 때, 훈련과 연습이 얼마나 훌륭한지 믿을 수가 없었다. 리카르도가 말했던 것이 생각난다. “손바닥 사이에 이 이상한 에너지가 느껴져!”. 곧 나는 YEHA의 할로윈 파티에 갔고 한 시간 내내 춤을 춘 후, 처음으로 정충호흡을 했다. 그 다음 주에는 심성 수업을 들었고, 일주일간의 훈련 후에 일리노이주 클락 센터에서 파트 타임으로 일하게 되었다. 굉장하면서도 처음엔 좀 이상했다. 파워브레인 방법 같은 것을 훈련하면서 단 “후유증”같은 것을 느낀 적도 있고, 내가 원하는 곳에 손가락을 놓지 못 할 때도 있었던 것이 기억난다.

I felt like Dahn filled all of the holes that I had inside of me. 
단이 내 안에 있는 모든 구멍들을 막고 있다는 느낌이 들었다.

It was three months ago that I left my role as a master at the Clark Center in Chicago. I was only a baby master, after the 48th term of MIT with all American masters in training, and I was intimidated and exhilarated on a daily basis. At first, I thought that I was living my life with great depth and purpose. 
시카고 클락 센터의 마스터라는 내 역할을 떠난 것은 3개월 전이다. 나는 예비마스터였고, MIT의 48번째 기간 후, 모든 훈련 중인 미국인 마스터들과 함께 있을 때, 나는 매일 위협을 받으면서도 기분이 들떠있었다. 처음에 나는 내가 엄청난 깊이와 목적을 가지고 내 삶을 살고 있다 생각했다.

Many of you I know deeply and personally, and many I do not. You are truly the brightest, most compassionate, strongest, and bravest leaders that I know. That is why Dahn targeted you and me and so many others. My recent time in the outside world has helped me to see how special my relationships with everyone in Dahn has been. I feel a strong obligation to share my feeling with EVERYONE, as I feel you are all in great danger. 
여러분 중 대부분은 내가 깊이, 그리고 개인적으로 알고 있고, 많은 이들은 그렇지 않다. 여러분은 내가 아는 사람들 중 정말로 밝고, 가장 열정적이며, 가장 강하고 가장 용감한 리더들이다. 그래서 단이 당신과 나를, 그리고 많은 다른 이들을 목표로 삼은 이유이다. 세상 밖에 있는 최근에 나는 단에 있는 모든 이들과의 관계가 얼마나 특별한가를 보게 되었다. 모든 이들과 함께 나의 기분을 공유해야 한다는 강한 의무감도 느꼈고, 당신이 엄청난 위험에 빠져있음도 함께 느꼈다.

It’s like a little bird looking for a worm (enlightenment)… the bird sees a worm poking out of the ground. A beautiful, juicy worm.. The bird trots over to the worm and bites it. All of the sudden- BAM- a bird cage flies down from the sky and traps the bird. The only way the bird can go is deeper and deeper down the worm-hole. 
이것은 마치 작은 새가 벌레를 찾는 것과 같다(깨달음)…새는 땅 밖으로 머리를 내민 벌레를 본다. 아름답고 즙이 풍부한 벌레를..새는 빠른 걸음으로 다가가 벌레를 베어 문다. 갑자기 하늘에서 새장이 날아와 새를 가둔다. 새가 갈 수 있는 곳은 단 한 곳, 벌레 구멍으로 깊이, 더 깊이 들어가는 것 뿐이다.

And down the worm hole I went. Through what I now know are dangerous mind control techniques, adopted from many other cult organizations, I even started to help them trap others. I got so frustrated one day with Phoenixi who were having fear and doubt about making Dahnhak their life path. 
그리고 난 그 벌레 구멍에 들어가 봤다. 다른 많은 컬트 조직들도 채택하는 위험한 마인드 컨트롤 기법을 통해, 난 심지어 다른 사람들까지도 덫에 갇히도록 돕기 시작했다. 하루는 단학이 그들의 삶의 길을 만들고 있다는 사실에 공포감과 의심을 가진 피닉스와 함께 나는 너무 좌절했다.

“Sabumnims are some of the luckiest people in the world!” I said. I can remember feeling so frustrated that they would even consider doing anything else.. I marveled at how they could ignore the truth. 
“사범님들은 세상에서 가장 운이 좋은 사람들이야!” 난 말했다. 난 사범님들은 뭐든지 할 수 있다고 생각되는 것조차 좌절감이 느껴졌음을 기억할 수 있다. 나는 그들이 어떻게 진실을 무시할 수 있는지에 놀랐다.

Take the time to think critically before you sign up to go to MIT, before you spend or borrow $10,o00 or more for training, before you get yourself into a mess. Trust me. Everything changes after you become a Dahn Master- your life is no longer about you, it is about achieving Ilchi Lee’s vision. 
MIT에 가입하기 전, 훈련을 위해 만 달러를 쓰거나 빌리기 전, 혼란에 빠지기 전에 비평적으로 생각할 시간을 가져라. 나를 믿어라. 단 마스터가 되면 모든 것이 달라진다. 당신의 삶은 더 이상 당신의 것이 아니다. 그 삶은 일지 이승헌의 비전을 성취하기 위한 것이 되어 버린다.

Ever notice how some people just suddenly dissappear from Dahn? Some of them are counseled out of the group by concerned friends and family members. Others leave because they are simply tired. Many feel guilty about having left. I did for the first two months. But now I can see that those feelings of guilt aren’t valid- they are in part how I was controlled by my authority figures in Dahn. 
단에 있으면서 갑자기 몇 사람이 사라졌다는 것을 느낀 적이 없는가? 몇몇은 걱정하는 친구와 가족들의 도움으로 그룹을 빠져나갔다. 몇몇은 단순히 지쳐서 떠났다. 많은 사람들이 떠나는 것이 괴롭다고 한다. 나도 처음 두 달은 그랬다. 그러나 지금은 그런 죄책감이 들지 않는다. 그것이 단에 있을 때, 내 위의 사람들이 나를 조종했던 한 부분이었던 것이다.

Dahn, like many other groups that are high-control and totalitarian, has very powerful “thought-stopping cliches” that cause us to ignore our true voices and go with the group’s plan. 
통제가 심하고 전체주의적인 다른 그룹들처럼, 단도 매우 강력한 “생각을 멈추게 하는 진부한 표현”들을 가지고 있어 우리로 하여금 진정한 목소리는 무시하고 그룹의 계획만 쫓도록 한다.

“My body isn’t me, but mine.” 
“나의 몸은 내가 아니라, 나의 것이다.”

example:
As a Master, I had to report everything about everyone, including myself. Usually I did this with glee. 
One day I shared that I felt disappointed because I wanted to watch the Olympics. I was told to acknowledge that I have “victim consciousness” and that I would slowly gain “masters consciousness” the more I trained. I wanted to watch the Olympics because I was still a victim, that I needed to raise my level of consciousness. It would take three years, I was told, before I lost all of my “information.” 
예로서:
마스터로써, 나는 나를 포함한 모든 사람들의 모든 것을 보고해야 했다. 보통 나는 크게 기뻐하며 그 일을 했다.

어느 날, 나는 올림픽을 보고 싶었기 때문에 실망하면서 그 일을 다른 이와 함께 했다. 그러면서 나는 훈련을 더 많이 받음에 따라 원래는 “희생자 의식”이었다가 천천히 “마스터 의식”이 되어가고 있음을 인정하라는 말을 들었다. 난 의식의 수준을 높여야 했기 때문에 여전히 희생자였고, 그렇기 때문에 나는 올림픽을 보고 싶었다. 3년이 걸렸고, 나는 들었다. 내가 나의 “정보”를 모두 잃어버리기 전에.

I had one day off as a master on the 4th of July. One intern and I went to the beach, drank beer, and played Frisbee together. I was watching the intern and her boyfriend laugh and run together by Lake Michigan in Chicago, and I started crying because I knew that it would be my last day of doing something normal like that. I had given my life to Ilchi Lee. 
7월 4일, 나는 마스터 임무를 하루 쉬었다. 인턴 한 명과 함께 해변에 가서, 맥주를 마시고, 함께 프리스비 (던지고 받는 놀이용 플라스틱 원반)를 던지며 놀았다. 나는 그 인턴과 그녀의 남자 친구가 함께 시카고의 미시간 호 주변을 뛰어다니는 것을 보면서, 울기 시작했다. 왜냐하면 지금처럼 일상적인 생활을 하는 것은 오늘이 마지막일 것이기 때문에. 나는 내 삶을 일지 이승헌에게 줘 버렸다.

When I got twenty minutes to myself to drive to a Master’s meeting, I would spend my time in the car listening to pop songs and calling friends or family on the phone. I lost them all- I never had time to hang out. I cried by myself a lot. I constantly worried about what I was doing wrong as a baby master. I would lie to friends and family about my “job,” because I knew that no one would understand why I was working 18 hour days. Sometimes I would leave the center to go advertise and I would simply pull the car over and go to sleep. 
운전해서 마스터 미팅에 가는 20분 동안 나는 팝송을 듣거나 친구와 가족에게 전화를 하곤 했다. 난 그들을 잃었다. 함께 할 시간이 없었으니까. 혼자서 많이 울었다. 계속해서 내가 예비 마스터로써 무엇을 잘못하고 있는지를 걱정했다. 난 친구와 가족에게 내 “직업”에 대해 거짓말을 했다. 아무도 하루 18시간 일하는 것을 이해하지 못 했기 때문이다. 가끔 광고하러 센터 밖으로 나갈 때면 나는 차를 대 놓고 잠을 자곤 했다.

Does that sound familiar? 
어디서 들어본 말인가?

This is classic mind control psychology used by all cults, and is referred to as “doctrine over person.” 
이것은 모든 숭배 사상에서 사용하는 전형적인 마인드 컨트롤 심리학으로, “사람에 대한 교리”라 불려진다.

The group’s doctrine became the number one priority in my life. I even thought about vision when I went to the bathroom. People who didn’t know this truth, or who resisted it, were like a waste of time to me unless I could sign them up for an Introductory Session, even my own Mother. I was made to believe that I was one of very few elite, special, amazing leaders who were on the true path to enlightenment. It was with this mind that I believed that I could guide people spiritually. It was with this mind that I completely let go of who I was- my entire value system. 
그룹의 교리는 내 삶의 1순위가 되었다. 심지어 화장실에 있으면서도 나는 비전에 대해 생각했다. 이 사실을 모르는 사람들이나 이에 거부감을 가지고 있는 사람들은, 우리 엄마라 해도, 소개 세션에 등록하지 않는 이상, 내게는 시간 낭비였다. 나는 극소수의 특별하고 놀라운 엘리트 리더 중의 하나이며 진정한 깨달음의 길에 들어섰다고 믿도록 교육받았다. 이러한 마음 가짐으로 나는 사람들을 영적으로 이끌 수 있다고 믿었다. 이 마음 가짐으로 나는 나 자신-나의 전체 가치 체계를 완전히 잊을 수 있었다.

From that point on, any desire that I had (food, sleep, sex, Olympics..), any emotion, or thought, I wrote off as my “victim mind.” 
I had completely lost control. I was being controlled and manipulated by Illchi Lee and by Dahn. 
그래서 내가 가졌던 어떤 욕망도(음식, 잠, 섹스, 올림픽…), 어떤 감정도, 혹은 생각도 나의 “희생자 마인드”라고 간주해버렸다. 
나는 완전히 통제권을 상실해버렸다. 난 통제당했고 이승헌과 단에 의해 조정당하였다.

In my time with Dahn, I saw people give all of their property to the group. I have seen people leave their own children behind to be transferred to other regions. I have seen people accept sexual and physical abuse as “training” from their authority figures. 
단에 있는 동안, 나는 가진 재산을 모두 그룹에게 주는 사람들을 보았다. 다른 지역으로 이동하기 위해 아이들과 떨어지는 사람들도 보았다. 성적, 신체적 학대를 권위자의 “수련”으로 받아들이는 사람도 보았다.

I actually EMBRACED the idea of letting go of the Amy Shipley before Dahn Yoga. I believed that what I liked did not matter. I was led to believe by authority figures that I wasted time “focusing outside,” and that the entire purpose of my life was to find my seuseung, Ilchi Lee. 
사실 나는 단 요가 앞에서는 에이미 쉬플리는 떨쳐버리자 라는 생각을 가지고 있었다. 내가 좋아했던 것은 문제가 되지 않는다고 믿었다. 권위자에 의해 “바깥 세상에 중점을 두는 것”은 시간 낭비임을 깨닫게 되었고, 내 삶의 목표는 나의 스승인 일지 이승헌을 찾는 것이라 믿었다.

I want to plead with you interns, members, YEHA, and masters- I know you are all sincerely involved in your practice. 
나는 인턴, 회원, YEHA, 마스터들을 변호하고 싶다 – 당신이 연습에 진실로 참여했음을 나는 알고 있다. 
STOP BEFORE IT HAPPENS TO YOU. DON’T LET GO OF WHO YOU ARE OR WHAT YOU STAND FOR. 
당신에게도 이 일이 일어나기 전에 그만둬라. 당신이 누구인지, 당신이 무엇을 상징하는지를 잊지 마라.

HONOR YOUR THOUGHTS, YOUR DESIRES, YOUR EMOTIONS, AND YOUR BODY: ALL PARTS OF YOU!당신의 생각, 욕망, 감정, 그리고 신체를 존중해라. 모두 당신의 일부이다!

Dahnhak uses a thought reform model borrowed from many other abusive cult organizations, and many of you are being subjected to ABUSIVE MIND CONTROL. 
단학은 다른 학대적 컬트 조직에서 차용한 생각 재편 모델을 사용하고 있으며, 여러분들은 가학적 마인드 컨트롤의 지배를 받아왔다.

I want to encourage everyone to sleep and eat well, and take a long, hard look at what is going on with Dahn Yoga. I am deeply hurt and by my three years in the group. Now that I have taken back control of my mind, I am beginning to learn a great deal about myself. My feeling now is to value myself, treasure myself, and not reject my passion, desires, emotions, or thoughts. Because they are all a part of me. 
모든 사람들이 잘 자고, 잘 먹으면서, 단 요가에서 어떤 일이 일어나고 있는지 오랫동안 잘 지켜보길 바란다. 3년 간 그룹에 있으면서 나는 깊은 상처를 입었다. 이제 나는 다시 나의 정신을 내가 통제하고, 내 자신에 대해 많은 것들을 배우려고 한다. 나는 이제 나 자신의 가치를 알고 있으며, 나 자신을 소중히 여기고, 나의 열정과 욕망, 감정이나 생각을 거부하지 않는다. 이 모든 것은 나의 일부이기 때문이다.

A true challenge is to bravely live your life while creating your own truth- through your own decisions, travel, education, interactions with all different kinds of religions and philosophies… Please do not see blue everyday when your life could be a kaleidoscope of color. 
진정한 도전은 자신만의 결정, 여행, 교육, 모든 다른 종류의 종교와 철학과의 상호 작용을 통해 당신 자신의 진실을 만드는 동안 당신의 삶을 용감하게 사는데 있다. 당신의 삶의 색이 무한히 바뀔 수 있는데도 불구하고 매일 파란색만 보고 있지 않기를 바란다.

There is lots of information available about Dahn and other similar cults. Don’t let them tell you that “weak” or unworthy people have written these materials. The key is to learn as much as you can and understand what Dahn is really doing to you. 
단과 다른 유사한 컬트 사상에 대한 정보는 많이 있다. 허약하거나 하찮은 사람들이 이런 자료들을 썼다고 생각하지 마라. 중요한 것은 정말로 단이 당신에게 할 일들에 대해 가능하면 많은 것을 알고 이해하는 것이다.

information and resources: http://www.icsahome.com/

1. Steve Hassan’s website:
http://www.freedomofmind.com/resourcecenter/groups/d/dahn-hak/

2. The Wave: cheesy with extra sauce. but packs a punch. it gives you a REALLY good idea about how idealistic young people are caught up in “movements” for peace.
Dahn uses many of the same tactics.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4689717947890475769&hl=en

4. Captive Minds: Hypnosis and Beyond
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3304418877837292928&hl=en

4. This is about the cult leader of the Moonies- most people who have left Dahn and who know about the Moonies say that the groups are very similiar, although i don’t know about it.
http://www.gorenfeld.net/book/cinema/

5. How To Make a Cult video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HueyQm_cBlg

6. Rick Ross website
http://www.rickross.com/groups/dti.html