Feb 3, 2006 11:41 am US/Eastern 

video clip
==========================================================

I-Team Investigates Yoga Group Some Call A Cult 
I-팀 요가 단체를 파헤치다, 많은 이들이 컬트라고 부르다. 

Joe Bergantino 
Reporting 
죠 벌칸티노 기자 

(CBS4) BOSTON The CBS4 I-Team investigates a group with hundreds of local members that promises healing and peace through yoga. The problem: some say the group is a high priced, dangerous cult. 
(CBS4)보스톤: CBS4 I-팀이 보스톤 지역에 수백명의 회원을 거느리고 있으며 회원들에게 요가를 통해서 치료와 평화를 준다는 약속을 한 그룹을 파헤쳤습니다. 그런데 문제는 많은 사람들이 얘기하길 비싼 가격의 위험한 컬트라는 것입니다. 

I-Team reporter Joe Bergantino investigates what this group is all about, and what you should know before you sign up. 
I-팀 리포트 조 벌간티노는 어떤 부분이 컬트이며 그 그룹에 사인하기전에 무엇을 꼭 알아야하는지른 조사를 했습니다. 

Veronica Siverls Dunham: "I can't believe she's gone." 
브로니카 사이벌스 던햄은 " 그녀가 떠났다는 것을 믿을수가 없어요" 

Veronica Siverls Dunham is talking about her sister Julia, a 41 year-old college professor whose mission was to become a master of Dahn Hak, a group that says it teaches yoga and holistic health at 147 centers around the country, including eleven in Massachusetts. 
브로니카 사이벌스 던햄에 의하면 그녀의 동생인 줄리아 - 41살의 대학 교수였으며 단학 지도자가 되기를 원했다고 합니다. 단학측의 주장에 의하면, 보스톤 지역의 11개의 센터를 포함 미전역의 147개의 센터에서 요가와 홀리스틱 헬스를 가르친다고 합니다. 

But the I-Team has learned there is a lot more to Dahn Hak than just yoga. 
하지만 I-팀이 알아본바에 의하면 단학은 단순한 요가를 넘어선 뭔가가 있습니다. 

Robert Siverls, Julia's brother: 
"When she talked about the Dahn Hak Institute, she talked about being of service. She talked about getting rid of her worldly possessions and spending a year or so in Korea." 
줄리아의 남자 형제인 로버트 사이벌스: 
"그녀가 단학에 대해서 얘기를 할때, 그녀는 그곳에 어떻게 서비스를 할것인지에 대해서도 얘기를 했습니다. 그리고 또한 그녀가 가진 세상의 소유물들을 다 놓고, 몇년의 시간을 한국에서 보낼 것이라는 것을 얘기했었습니다" 

To become a master, one thing Julia had to do was hike up Casner Mountain in Arizona with 25 pounds of rocks in her backpack. 
매스터가 되기위해서 젤 먼저 줄리아가 해야했던 일은 아리조나에 있는 케스너 마운틴을 25파운드가량의 돌멩이를 백에 넣고 짊어지고 올라가야하는 일이었습니다. 

According to fellow hikers, there were only three bottles of water for all five hikers on the 20 mile trek. 
함께 하이킹을 했던 동반자들에 의하면, 20 마일의 거리에 오로지 다섯 사람당, 세개의 물병만이 지급되어졌습니다. 

Julia collapsed several times under the hot desert sun, but continued on at the urging 
of the group. 
뜨거운 사막의 태양에 줄리아는 몇번이나 쓰러졌지만 그룹의 재촉에 의해 계속 올라갔습니다. 

She died of dehydration. 
그녀는 결국 탈수증상으로 인해 사망을 하였습니다. 

Allen Siverls, Julia's brother: 
"To expose someone to the degree that they can ultimately die is madness." 
알렌 사이버스, 줄리아의 남자 형제: "누군가가 결국 죽음으로까지 이끌고 갈수 있을 정도의 위험으로 내몬다는 것은 미친짓입니다." 

Julia's family has filed an $84 million wrongful death lawsuit against Dahn Hak, accusing the group of engaging in brainwashing and lacing Julia's food with drugs. 
줄리아의 가족들은 현재 단월드를 상대로 세뇌와 마약이 포함된 음식물 제공에 대해서 8천4백만불 소송중에 있습니다. 

Charlotte Connors is a Dahn spokesperson. 
샤롯 카너스는 단월드 대변인입니다. 

Charlotte Connors, Dahn spokesperson: 
"We strongly disagree with them and can't really speak about any of the details because of the pending litigation." 
샤롯 카너에 의하면 "우리는 절대로 그들의 말에 동의할수 없습니다. 그리고 현재진행중인 법적인 소송에 대해선 아무것도 자세히 얘기를 할수가 없습니다." 

What happened to Julia Siverls shines a spotlight on a group that some experts say fits the model of a destructive cult, that has torn apart families and has cost some members thousands of dollars. 
줄리아에게 일어난 일들이 바로 파괴적인 컬트의 전형적인 모델, 즉 가족을 해체하고, 수천달러에 이르는 많은 돈을 갈취하는 것임을 증명합니다. 

Its founder is Il Chi Lee, a Korean who calls himself a doctor, but only has two honorary doctorates, one from a non-accredited school in California. 
단학의 창시자인 한국인 일지는 자기 자신을 닥터라고 부르는데, 사실 그가 가진것은 두개의 명예 박사 학위로서 그중 하나는 켈리포니아에 있는 인가받지 않은 곳입니다. 

Lee claims to have paranormal powers, and the ability to teach others 
how to increase their brain function. 
Lee는 초능력을 가졌으며, 또한 다른 사람들의 뇌기능을 발달시킬수 있는 능력을 가졌다고 주장합니다. 

He says his mission is to inspire 100 million earth-humans to join him in what he calls an enlightenment 
revolution. 
또한 그는 100만 지구인이 자기의 뜻에 따르면 지구상에 깨달음의 혁명이 일어난다고 합니다. 
(Sacramento 코멘트: 여전히 놀구 있네 이넘. 지구인 백만명이면 깨달음의 혁명이 아니라 니넘 재산 규모에 
더큰 혁명이 일어나겠지.) 

Many of his followers start off attending basic yoga classes. 
많은 추종자들이 요가 클래스를 먼저 시작합니다. 

They are encouraged to go to workshops, retreats, and healing sessions costing up to $10,000. 
그들은 또한 워크샵, 리트리트, 그리고 힐링 세션등 만불이 넘는 돈을 강매 당하기도 합니다. 

Dahn Hak has sold its followers $4,000 healing turtles, and is still peddling $800 healing necklaces and $90 vibrating power brains. 
단학은 그들의 추종자에게 4천불의 천금각 거북이, 800불의 천금각 목걸이와 90불의 파워브레인을 팔고 있습니다. 
(Sacramento 코멘트: 이 기자한테 천금각 성분 분석한 자료 보내주지요. 이왕이면 그게 싸구려 도금 물질이라는 것까지 뉴스에 나와야 하는데... 아쉽다.) 

Steve Hassan, Cult expert: "This is a totalitarian, authoritarian Korean cult that wants you to stop thinking and become a clone."
스티븐 하산, 컬트 전문가: "이것은 사고를 마비시키고, 복제인간이 되는 강력하고 아주 독재적인 한국 컬트입니다. " 

Mind control expert Steve Hassan says Dahn Hak uses its centers to lure people in. He has formed his opinion after studying the group and, for a fee, counseling former members. 
마인드 컨트롤의 전문가인 스티브 핫산에 의하면 단학은 각 지원을 사람들을 끌어들이는 역할로 이용을 한다는 것을 단학 단체에 대한 연구와, 가격, 예전 멤버들과 카운슬링을 통해서 알아내었습니다. 

Steve Hassan, Cult expert: 
"I see a lot of people after they've left the group, and they are still distraught and having panic attacks, anxiety attacks, sleep problems, nightmares." 
스티브 하산, 컬트 전문가: 
" 많은 사람들이 그 단체를 떠난후에도 여전히 그들은 정신적인 불안, 분노, 수면장애, 악몽등에 시달리는것을 봅니다." 

Ari Laquidara, Dahn instructor: 
"My experience is that this is a fantastic organization for holistic healing and wellness. We have some great programs. People are getting huge benefits." 아리 라퀴다라, 단학 사범: 
"내 경험에 의하면 홀리스틱 힐링과 건강을 추구하는 아주 훌륭한 단체입니다. 우리는 아주 훌륭한 프로그램들을 가지고 있습니다. 사람들은 많은 혜택을 입고 있습니다." 
(Sacramento의 코멘트: 정신 못차린 넘이 여기도 있네 ㅉㅉㅉ) 

Ari Laquidara runs the Dahn Center in Jamaica Plain. 
아리 라퀴다라는 자메이카 플레인에서 단센타를 운영하고 있습니다. 

His father Charles, a Boston radio personality, contacted Steve Hassan after Ari chose Dahn Hak over graduate school. 
그의 아버지인 찰스, 보스톤 라디오 진행자가 알리가 대학원을 가는 대신에 단학을 선택한 다음 스티브 하산에 연락을 해왔습니다. 

Charles Laquidara, Ari’s father: "I feel his mind is being controlled." 
찰스 라퀴다라, 아리의 아버지: "그의 마음이 누군가에 의해서 제어를 당하는 것으로 느꼈습니다." 

But his efforts to get his son to leave the group failed. 
하지만 그는 아들을 단학으로 부터 떠나게 하는데는 실패를 했습니다. 

Ari Laquidara, Dahn instructor: "It's a way of life for me that I've chosen, that I love." 
아리 라퀴다라, 단학 사범: "이것은 바로 나를 위해서 선택한 내가 바로 사랑하는 삶의 방법입니다" 
(Sacramento의 코멘트: 니가 선택한 그 사랑하는 삶의 방식이 단 한사람과 그 일가-일쥐의 배만 살찌우는거란다. 거창하게 얘기한다만 불쌍타...언제 정신 차릴래?) 

Ben Lucal had a different experience. He left Dahn Hak after two months. 
벤 루칼은 다른 경험을 가지고 있습니다. 그는 두달 후에 단학을 떠났습니다. 

Ben Lucal, Former member: "Dahn Hak tries to sell you that they are giving you a healing technique that you will be able to take out into the world and help people. But what they are giving you is a life of bringing more people into the group." 
벤 루칼, 옛 멤버: "단학은 당신에게 세상을 향해서 가지고 나가서 사람들을 도울 수 있는 힐링 테크닉을 팔려고 노력을 합니다. 그러나 실제로 그들이 당신에게 파는 것은 더 많은 사람들을 일지 문중으로 꼬셔서 데리고 오는 
것입니다." 

The I-Team has talked with other former Dahn members who have even more serious complaints. 
I-팀은 더욱 더 심각한 컬플레인을 가진 다른 몇명의 예전 단 멤버들과도 얘기를 나누었습니다. 

And there is one woman, an instructor in the 1990's, who has sued the organization alleging she was brainwashed and that leader Il Chi Lee forced her to have sex with him. 
1990년대에 지도자였던 한 여성은, 세뇌와 더불어 강압에 의한 일지의 성폭행에 대해서 단학을 상대로 소송을 했습니다. 

The Dahn Hak group settled the case without admitting any wrongdoing. 
단학 그룹은 그들의 잘못된 행동을 자인하지는 않았지만, 합의로서 소송을 종결했습니다. 
(Sacramento 코멘트: 오호라... 그 우먼님 연락 주셔요. 결국 합의를 했다는것이 바로 일쥐의 그 
무수한 성폭행 스캔들이 사실임을 증명하는 것이네요. 동물보다도 못한 쉐이.... 동물이라고 욕하기에는 동물을 모독하는것이라고 봄.) 

Dahn Hak has plans to open more centers in the Boston area. Currently, the organization claims to have about 1,500 members in Massachusetts and 50,000 across the country. 
단학은 현재 보스톤 지역에 더 많은 센타를 오픈할 계획을 가지고 있습니다. 그들은 현재 메사츠세츠 지역에 1500여명의 멤버가 있고, 미국 전역에는 약 5만여명의 회원들이 있다고 합니다. 

UPDATE: 
After our report aired, a spokesman for the Dahn Center 
Association sent a statement saying Dahn training "helps people channel their 
energy more efficiently to optimize their own power" and is "the complete 
antithesis of a cult." The spokesman disputed many of the claims of the Siverls 
lawsuit, saying there is no requirement to take a hike of any length to become a 
Dahn Hak master. He also stated, "Dahn Yoga does not advocate any use of illicit 
drugs let alone lacing someone's food with drugs." 
업데이트: 
방송이 나간다음에, 단 센타 그룹의 대변인이 편지를 보내왔습니다. 그 편지에 의하면 단 트레이닝은 "사람들의 기운을 더욱더 효율적으로 채널링 함의로써 자기 본래의 힘을 효과적으로 활용할수 있도록 도우며" 또한 " 절대로 컬트가 아니다"라고 합니다. 대변인은 사이벌스의 소송 내용과 관련해서도 또한 반박을 했습니다. 단학 지도자가 되기 위해서 어떠한 종류의 하이킹도 요구하지 않으며 또한 "단요가는 누군가의 음식에 마약을 타거나 하는, 어떠한 불법적인 마약 사용도 지지 하지 않는다"고 주장했습니다. 
(Sacramento 코멘트: 흥... 컬트가 스스로 나 컬트요 하는 것 봤수까? 물론 그 돌산에 돌 지고 하이킹 안한다고 사범 안되는건 아니겠지.... 문제는 지도자 교육 안에 그런 프로그램이 있다는것이지. 그런데 어쩌누 나는 알고 있지롱. 지도자 교육때 그렇게 죽을 고생하면서 하이킹했던 사람들을...어떤 팀은 산에서 길을 잃어서 지도자 교육하던 사람이 찾아 나서기도 하고, 산에서 길을 잃었던 사람들은 생사를 넘나들었대나 어쨋대나..... 내가 아는 사람은 여기 기자한테 이멜 보냈다던데... 뭐라고 썼냐하면: Oh yeah, the spokesman is right. That damn hiking is not required to be a dahn hak master, but it was a part of the master program. Such a manipulator!) 

(© MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)