CBS News, KPHO Channel 5, Phoenix, Arizona, 2-7-06 

Critics Compare Dahn Yoga to Cult 
비평가들은 단요가를 컬트와 견주다. 

(CBS 5 NEWS)  5i Team Reporter Morgan Loew investigates an international organization based in Arizona. 
Its followers believe it has made them happy and healthy. They'll even tell you it has cured them of illnesses, but critics warn this is a cult in disguise. 
(CBS 5 뉴스) - 5i 팀 취재원 Morgan Loew는 애리조나에 본거지를 둔 국제적인 조직을 조사했습니다. 그들의 추종자들은 그것이 그들을 행복하고 건강하게 만든다고 믿습니다. 심지어 그들은 그 조직이 그들의 병을 낫게까지 했다고 말을 하나, 비평가들은 위장임을 경고합니다. 

The red rocks of Sedona lure visitors from around the world, but it was something else nestled in the hills 
outside of the town that brought a 41-year-old college professor named Julia Siverls here during the summer of 2003. 
붉은 바위들로 이루어진 Sedona는 세계 곳곳으로부터의 방문자들을 유혹합니다, 그러나 도시 너머 언덕에는 2003년 여름, 41살의 대학교수인 Julia Siverls 를 이끈 다른 어떤 무엇인가가 있습니다. 

"The last time I saw her was at my wedding, the reception, and she was telling me 'I'm going to Arizona'," says one family member. 
“내가 마지막으로 그녀를 본것은 내 결혼과 피로연이었습니다. 그때 그녀는 아리조나로 갈것이라고 얘기를 했습니다.” 가족중의 한사람의 말입니다. 

Family members say they still have a hard time believing what happened… believing the events that led to Julia collapsing and dying on the side of a mountain. 
가족들은 아직도 그들에게 일어난 일, 그 산속에 줄리아를 죽음으로까지 이끈 일을 믿을수가 없다고 합니다. 

"You don't know the stuff that's going to happen. She was like, I'm scared. I'm going on this hike tomorrow. I'm scared'," says the victim's brother, Robert Siverls. 
피해자의 동생인 로버트 Siverls는 "당신에게 무슨 일이 일어날것인지 당신은 모릅니다. 그녀는 ‘나는 두려워. 내일 하이킹을 가게 될것인데 두려워’ 하는것처럼 보였다. “ 고 말했습니다. 

Julia traveled to Sedona for something called masters training in Dahn Yoga, a Korean art form that her family and others compare more to a cult than an exercise program. Dhan is a combination of yoga, martial arts 
and meditation. Followers say it works wonders. 
Julia는 단요가, 그녀의 가족 및 다른 사람들은 하나의 운동프로그램이라기보다는 컬트에 더 유사한것으로 여기는 곳으로 지도자교육이라고 부르는 프로그램을 받기위해서 세도나로 여행을 갔습니다. Dhan는 요가, 무술 및 명상을 종합체이다. 추종자들은 그것이 아주 놀랍도록 효과가 있다고 합니다. 

"Within one month I felt amazing,” says Charlotte Connors. She started taking classes to relieve depression. She liked it so much, she moved from Manhattan to Sedona to work for the Dahn Yoga organization full-time. 
샬럿 Connors는 "1달 만에 나는 굉장함을 느꼈다,"고 말합니다. 그녀는 우울증을 극복하기위해서 수업을 시작했다고 합니다. 그리고 그녀는 그것이 너무 좋아서, 풀타임으로 단요가를 위해서 일을 하기 위해서 맨하탄에서 Sedona로 이사를 했습니다. 

"Of course in my example it was so beneficial for me physically and emotionally, I was, like, I want to be a teacher. I want to share this with other people,” says Connors. 
Connors 는 "물론 내 경우이지만, 이것은 육체적, 감정적으로 너무나 나에게는 유익하였습니다. 그래서 사범이 되길 원했고, 또한 다른 다른 사람들과 나의 경험을 공유하고 싶습니다.” 라고 말합니다. 

Critics charge that some of the followers get too involved and spend thousands of dollars getting rid of personal possessions and turning their backs on their own families. 
비평가들에 의하면 어떤 추종자들은 너무 깊이 빠져서 그들의 많은 돈을 소비하고, 또한 자기 소요물을 바치고, 그들의 가족들에게 등을 돌리게 만드는 댓가를 치르게 한다고 합니다. 

"I saw in my mind what she - what I thought - was a cult,” says concerned parent Charles Laquidara. 
"내가 본것은, 내 생각에 그건 컬트입니다” 라고 부모인 찰스 라퀴다라가 걱정스럽게 말을 합니다. 

Charles' son is a Dahn Yoga follower. 
찰스의 아들은 Dahn 요가 추종자입니다. 

"We called a cult expert, and we actually had an intervention in Hawaii. When he came home for Christmas it was horrible,” says Laquidara. 
“ 우리는 컬트 전문가에게 전화를 했고, 직접 하와이에서 만남을 가졌습니다. 그가 크리스마스를 지내기 위해서 집으로 왔을때 너무나 상황이 최악이었습니다.”라고 Laquidara를 말한다. 

Cult expert Steve Hassan has counseled 14 former Dahn members. 
컬트 전문가인 스티브 핫산은 14명의 전직 멤버들과 상담을 했습니다. 

"People that I’m counseling who have been in this group, show all the signs of symptoms of people in other mind control cults,” says Hassan. 
"내가 상담을 했던 실제 그 단체에 몸담았던 사람들은, 다른 마인드 컨트롤 컬트에 있었던 사람들과 같은 모든 증상을 보입니다”라고 핫산이 말합니다. 

Dahn Yoga is headquartered in Sedona, where Julia died. 
Dahn 요가는 Julia가 죽었던 Sedona에 본부가 있습니다. 

The police report says Julia died of dehydration during a training exercise on the mountain. 
경찰 보고서에 의하면 줄리아는 산에서의 트레이닝 과정중에서 탈수로 인해서 죽은것으로 되어 있습니다. 

"To expose someone to the degree where they can ultimately die, it’s madness,” says Robert Siverls. 
"누군가를 결국 죽음으로까지 이끌고 갈수 있을 정도의 위험으로 내몬다는 것은 미친짓입니다." 로버트 Siverls를 말한다. 

The family has filed a lawsuit alleging, among other things, that Julia was drugged and killed by the Dahn cult. It’s an allegation the organization flatly denies. 
가족들은 다른 문제제기와 더불어, 줄리아가 단 컬트에 의해서 마약에 중독이 되었고 또한 죽게 되었다는것으로 소송을 제기했습니다. 그것은 그조직이 강력하게 부정하는 것입니다. 

"All I can say is that our entire organization was devastated by what happened to Julia, by her death,” says Charlotte Connors. 
"내가 얘기할수 있는 것이라곤, 우리 조직 전체가 모두 줄리아의 죽음으로 충격을 받았다는 것입니다.” 라고 샤롯 Connors를 말한다. 

When asked if she thought the program was responsible for her death, she said, “Absolutely not. We disagree with the allegations, and that’s really all I can say because of the litigation.” 
그녀의 죽음에 대해 프로그램의 책임이 있다고 생각하냐고 물었을때, 그녀는 "당연히 아닙니다. 우리는 그 주장에 동의하지 않습니다. 그리고 지금 소송중이기에 내가 할수 있는 얘기는 이것이 다입니다. “, 라고 말했습니다. 

Dahn Yoga was started by a man who calls himself Dr. Ilchi Lee. He's designed strange gadgets including little vibrating brains used in conjunction with Dahn Yoga. He also claims to have supernatural powers, but critics like Steve Hassan compare what he does to brainwashing. 
Dahn 요가는 자기 자신을 Ilchi Lee 박사이라고 칭하는 한 남자에 의해 시작되었다. 그는 Dahn 요가와 접목되어 사용되는 작은 파워브레인이라는 기구를 포함하여 이상한 기구들을 디자인했습니다. 그는 또한 초능력을 가졌다고 합니다. 그러나 Steve Hassan과 같은 비판가들은 그가 하는 일이 바로 세뇌작업과 같다고 합니다. 

"If it quacks like a duck and has feathers like a duck, at a certain point you have to 
say it’s probably a duck. In my opinion, this group is one that I really warn 
your viewers about,” says Hassan. 
"만약에 오리와 같은 울음을 내고, 오리와 같은 털을 가지고 있다면, 궁극적인 지점에가서는 그것이 아마 오리일거라고 인정을 해야합니다. 내 생각에는 이 그룹은 사람들에게 내가 꼭 경고를 해야되는 곳입니다.” Hassan 말한다 

When asked why people would call it a cult, Connors says,”I think that people who might say something like that 
probably don\'t have any direct experience with Dahn Yoga.” 
사람들이 왜 그 조직을 컬트라고 부르냐는 물음에, Connors은 " 내 생각에는 그렇게 얘기하는 (컬트라고 부르는) 사람들은 아마도 단요가에 대한 직접적인 아무런 경험이 없기 때문이라고 봅니다.”라고 말했습니다. 

Dahn Yoga organizers tell us the problem may be that some people mis-interpret the enthusiasm of the teachers. 
단요가 관계자는 문제가 어떤 사람들은 사범들의 열의를 곡해해서 일지도 모른다고 우리에게 말한다. 

There are now eight locations here in the Valley, more than 600 centers worldwide, and the organization says 200,000 followers. 
단요가 관계자들에 의하면, 지금 이곳 밸리에는 8개소유지가 있고 세계적으로 600개 센터가 있고, 200,000명의 추종자들이 있다고 합니다.