http://rickross.com/groups/dti.html 에 올려져있는 글들의 번역본입니다.

Dahnhak and "brainwashing" November 2002 Written by a former member

I wanted to write my story because it was stories and comments from this web site that actually saved me. I doubted my instincts that made me feel uncomfortable, and I started to wonder if I was imagining it all. The other dahnhak members seemed to be fine about everything that was going on and I wondered if I was too quick to jump the gun in making judgments and opinions. 제가 이 글을 쓰게 된것은 이 사이트의 글과 이야기들을 보고 단학으로 부터 빠져나올 수 있게 되었기 때문입니다. 나는 무언가 불안하다는 의심을 본능적으로 느꼈고 모든 것을 단지 상상만 하고 있는게 아닌가 의심하기 시작했습니다. 주위의 다른 회원들은 괜찮은 듯 보였지만 나는 너무나도 성급히 판단한게 아닌가하고 의구심을 가졌던 것이죠. 

I was feeling very sad that I was questioning Dahnhak in this way. I really wished that I were wrong. I decided to write my story so maybe it could help someone the way other people's stories have helped me. I also wanted to put this story in writing so I wouldn't forget why I stopped going. I was afraid that I might return. This would be a reminder. 
나는 단학의 방식에 의문을 가지면서 슬픔을 느끼고 있었습니다. 저는 나의 생각이 잘못된 것이길 바랬죠. 다른 분의 이야기가 저를 도운것처럼 다른 분들에게 참고가 되길 바라며 이 글을 씁니다. 또한 이글을 쓰는 이유는 제가 그만두게 된 이유를 잊을 수 없기 때문입니다. 어쩌면 그곳에 돌아가게 될지도 몰라 두렵기도 했습니다. 이글을 쓰니 그때가 회상됩니다. 

The week after Shim Sung training, I wavered back and forth on my opinions about Dahnhak, even after I read these stories. Although I was glad that other people felt the same way and made me realize that I might not have been imagining things, I also tried to be open-minded about it all. I wanted to know the other side of the story. 
심성수련을 다녀온 뒤, 단학에 대한 여러 가지 생각으로 인해 혼란스러웠습니다. 여기에 있는 글들을 읽고 나서도요. 비록 다른 사람들이 나와 비슷한 것을 느끼고 있음을 알게되어 제가 쓸데없는 상상을 했던 것 이 아니라는 것을 일깨워 주기도 했지만, 나는 단학에 해 열린마음을 가지려고 노력했습니다. 나는 다른 쪽의 이야기들도 알 고 싶었던 것이죠. 

I seriously considered the cultural differences and the language barriers. I corresponded with a Dahnhak instructor who explained to me everything I did not understand that week immediately following Shim Sung training. But then again, they will always have an explanation for everything. 
나는 문화적 차이 언어의 장벽에 대해 진지하게 고려했습니다. 심성수련을 갔다온 바로 다음주에 단학지도자와 제 가 이해가 가지 않던 부분들에 대해 의견을 교환했습니다. 하지만 그들은 제가 느낀 의문들에 대해 변명만 할뿐이었습니다. 

I wavered though, and later almost wanted to write to this web site and say that Dahnhak wasn't really like the way it was described. I wanted to say that it was all a misunderstanding. That it was a cultural difference. I also thought about how many incredibly intelligent and well-educated people are members of Dahnhak and I questioned my opposing position. 
나는 혼란스웠지만 이제는 단학이 자기네들이 말하는 것 과는 다르다는 것을 알리고 싶어졌습니다. 단학에 대한 모든 문제들이 문화적 차이라는 것은 오해라는 것이죠. 물론 단학 회원들이 높은 수준의 교육을 받았기에 반대 의견에 대해 의문을 가지기도 했습니다. 

I have a doctorate and am in the health profession. I am not saying this to tout my credentials in any way. I just wanted to say that it's not the uneducated that question Dahnhak. Intelligence in the sense of being educated has nothing to do with anything in this case. 
나는 박사학위를 가지고 있고 의료업에 종사합니다. 물론 이런 저의 학력을 근거로 내세우고 싶지는 않습니다. 단지 단학에 대해 의문을 가지는게 무지한 것은 아니라는 것입니다. 교육수준이 이 경우에는 별다른 관계가 없기 때문입니다. 

People have explained to me that Dahnhak is good for the mind and body. I agree that it can be beneficial for the mind and body (as yoga, tai-chi, etc is known to be) and the exercises that we did in regular classes were helpful. That's where they drew us in. They provide great classes that prove to be beneficial and consequently, are enjoyed by almost all. You will begin to believe in the program and be grateful to it for making you feel so good. 
사람들은 단학이 심신건강에 좋다고 말합니다. 저도 거기엔 수긍하죠.(요가나 태극권 같은 것들처럼..) 그건 방식으로 회원들을 끌어들이죠. 그들은 훌륭하고 유익하다는 강좌를 지속적으로 제공하고 모든 사람들이 즐기게 합니다. 여러분도 참여해 보시면 기분이 좋아지게 한다는 점에서는 공감하실 겁니다. 

There was a time when I was very glad that it was spreading around the world as it was. I wanted to be able to have access to a Dahn Center at all times. However, after a while, there is no avoiding going to the workshops and sessions on the weekends due to the underhanded pressure. Their mission is to get 100 million "new humans" in ten years to reach a world of peace, love and harmony. 
나도 한때는 마음이 세상을 포용할듯 넓어짐에 기뻤습니다. 한때는 항상 단 센터에 있고 싶었습니다. 하지만, 잠시 뒤, 워크샵과 기타강좌에 대한 은근한 압력이 가해졌습니다. 그들의 사명은 1억명의 '뉴 휴먼'을 10년내에 양성하여 세계평화와 사랑, 조화에 이바지 하는 것이었습니다. 

I like the mission of love, peace, etc. Did you notice all religions also have the same mission? Everyone wants world peace, even non-religious persons. It's a general goal that would appeal to most everyone. 
나는 사랑과 평화 기타 모든 것을 좋아합니다. 하지만 모든 종교의 사명도 똑같다는 것을 아시는지요? 모든이들이 세계평화를 원합니다. 심지어 비종교인도요. 즉 모든이들에게 공통되는 사명이죠.

However, the part I don't agree with is how they want to get us there, through what I see as brainwashing or mind control. I am being absolutely serious. Perhaps everyone can't be brainwashed, although most people are susceptible to transference, like some psychiatrists and their patients. 
하지만 제가 동의할 수 없는 부분은 어떻게 그들이 우리에게 행동하라고 하는가를 - 제가 보기에 세뇌와 마인드 콘트롤같은 것을 통해 제시 한다는 점이었습니다. 나는 이 부분에 대해 매우 비판적입니다. 모든 사람들이 세뇌될 수는 없습니다. 대부분의 사람들이 세뇌가 될 수 있을지는 몰라도 정신과의사나 환자들은 그렇지 못한 것처럼 말이지요.

I read about Dahnhak in "Conversations with God" books earlier this year. I got wrapped up in these books and regarded them with bible-status. It mentioned that Dahnhak is a very good way to get in touch with oneself, so to speak. I was really excited to find out that there were classes to apply this stuff. 
저는 올해 초 '신과의 대화'라는 책에서 단학에 대해 알게 되었습니다. 저는 그책을 탐독했고 성경과도 같은 감명을 받았습니다. 그 책에서 단학은 자신과 교류할 수 있는 매우 좋은 방법이라고 소개되었고 저는 이런 가르침을 받을 수 있는 강좌들이 있음을 알고 정말 흥분되었습니다. 

I wanted to understand life and the purpose of it. I had been doing a lot of reading about spirituality and had an enormous interest in mind/body/spirit, especially in relation to medicine. I ended up going to Dahnhak's web page, which is www.healingsociety.org. I printed out the free online classes that I found on that Website. I did the exercises at home for several months before I decided to join a dahnhak center near my home. 
나는 삶이란 무엇인가와 삶의 목적을 이해하고 싶었습니다. 영성을 다룬 책들도 많이 읽었고 마음과 몸, 정신에 대해 많은 관심이 있었습니다. 나는 단학의 웹페이지를 방문하게 되었습니다.(www.healingsociety.org) 거기에서 무료 온라인 강좌를 인쇄하고 -집 근처에 있는 단학 센터에 참여하게 될때까지- 혼자 따라하기도 했습니다. 

Joining the center 3 months ago. Many may think that 3 months really isn't a long enough period of time to make judgments about a place. 
그곳에 3개월정도 참여했지요, 많은 분들이 3달이라는 기간은 특정 단체를 평가하기엔 충분한 기간이 아니라고 생각하실지 모르겠습니다.

I was really happy that there was a place like Dahnhak to do exactly what I was looking for. I really loved the regular classes, which were a combination of yoga, meditation, Tai chi, and Qi gong. I got involved very quickly because I had such an interest in it. I tried to make it to class as often as possible, even when I had a busy schedule. Although there were times I couldn't go in, I would try to do the exercises at home. My mind was always on it. Even though I often wasn't physically at the center, my mind started to revolve around it. 나는 단학같은 곳에서 제가 찾고 있었던 것을 만났기에 매우 행복했습니다. 그곳의 정규과정을 사랑했고, 이는 요가와 명상과 태극권과 기공의 혼합체였습니다. 나는 금방 그곳에 빠져들었습니다. 이유는 그런 분야에 관심이 많았기 때문이죠. 저는 되도록 자주 참여하려 했습니다. 심지어 참석하기 어려울땐 집에서라도 연습하려 했죠. 나의 마음은 항상 거기에 있었죠. 비록 매일 나가서 센터에 육체적으로 수시로 있지 않았더라도, 나의 마음은 그것의 주위에 회귀하기 시작했죠. 

When I signed up, I got talked into enrolling for a year. I'm sort of a pushover, so I thought, hey, I think it'll be good for me anyway. I asked about the cancellation policy and the manager at the time sort of skirted the questioning, saying something like, "Yes, if you move, don't worry about it". I let it go. 
제가 등록했을때 연회원으로 등록하도록 권유받았습니다. 여하튼 연회원으로 등록되면 좋다고 하더군요. 연회원 취소 정책에 대해 물을때면 그들은 "걱정말고 함께 해보자는 "식으로 말하곤 했습니다. 

I was talked into going to see a speaker, who was one of Grand Master Lee's former students. There was one thing that the speaker said that really disturbed me. He said, "You should spend all your time and money to attain this goal (to become enlightened), all your energy". I was annoyed. I mentioned this to my instructor at my center, and he said that he would have to hear the entire concept. That the sentence was only a part of a whole. OK, I said, although I was listening to the "whole" thing, and that is what the guy said. There was a translator so I thought that maybe it got lost in the translation somehow. I was looking for excuses. 
나는 지도자중 한사람을 만나러 갔습니다. 이승헌 대선사의 한때 직계제자 였다고 하거든요. 그런데 그의 말중 저를 혼란스럽게 한게 있었습니다. "여러분의 모든 시간과 돈.. 그리고 에너지까지 우리의 목표(깨달음)를 위해 모두 투자하십시오." 저는 화가 났습니다. 이문제에 대해 제가 다니는 센터의 지원장에게 논의하자 그는 전체적인 면을 보라고 하더군요. 그 지도자가 말한것은 전체중의 일부분일 뿐이라는 것이죠. 알았다고 나는 말했습니다. 비록 내가 '전체적인 것'에 귀를 기울였지만 위의 말이 바로 그 사람이 말한 것이었습니다. 통역을 통해 이루어졌기에 말이 잘못 전달되었으려니 생각했습니다. 나는 다른 이유를 찾았죠. 

Then came the camping trip. I took my best friend, who is currently a medical student, on this trip with me. She isn't a part of Dahnhak. We both got weird vibes. She felt a lot more uncomfortable than me, because I was willing to try it out and I really wanted to do my best in becoming "One with the energy." It turned out that she and I decided to skip out on all activities of the entire second day. I promised myself that I would never go on another retreat, little did I know that I couldn't avoid the pressure to go to other "outside-of-the-class" sessions. 
그리고 나서 캠핑 수련이 시작되었습니다. 나는 가장 친한 친구를 데려갔습니다. 그는 의대생이었습니다. 그녀는 단학 수련생이 아니었습니다. 그런데 우리 두사람에게 이상한 예감이 들었습니다. 그녀는 나보다 훨씬 불편해했습니다. 그나마 나는 '에너지와 하나됨'가 되고자 노력했고 빠져들었기에 그랬겠지요. 결국 나와 내 친구는 둘째날의 모든 과정을 빠지기로 결심했습니다. 그리고 다시는 이런 모임에 오지 않으리라 다짐했지만 이런 식의 '야외 수련'을 참가하라는 압력을 피하기도 쉽지 않으리라는 걸 알고 있었지요. 

Next Grand Master Lee was in town. It was a whopping $235 to hear this guy speak. Again, I was talked into going. I did read one of his books and half of his other book, they were OK, but I thought hearing him speak might be interesting. I was told that I was "very lucky" that I would have the chance to be able to hear him speak. 
다음날 이승헌 씨가 이 지역을 방문했습니다. 그의 강연을 듣기 위해서는 235달러나 지불해야 했습니다. 그의 강연을 들을 수 있어서 행운이라고 느꼈습니다. 

I felt a little uncomfortable at the lecture, but didn't really think anything of it. But when I went to get my book signed, I got weird vibes from Grand Master Lee. I thought maybe I was imagining it because all the masters seemed to worship him. But why? Why worship him? I thought I wasn't being open-minded enough to accept him the way everyone else seemed to. 
하지만 그 강연해서도 무언가 불편한 것이 있었지만, 그것에 대해 진지하게 생각해 보지는 않았습니다. 하지만 제 책에 그의 사인을 받으려 했을때 이승헌 씨로 부터 이상한 느낌을 받았습니다. 다른 사범들이 그를 '숭배'했습니다. 왜 숭배했을까요? 저는 다른 사범들이 했던 것처럼 마음이 열리지 못했기 때문이 아닐까 생각했습니다. 

I continued on with classes, which I liked very much. The final straw was the Shim Sung training that was held on a Saturday and Sunday ($345). That is what made me decide to stop going to Dahnhak completely. 
나는 수련을 계속해 나갔습니다. 나는 수련을 매우 좋아했기 때문입니다. 마지막 과정은 심성수련으로 토요일과 일요일에 345달러를 지불해야 했습니다. 그런데, 이것이 바로 제가 단학과의 인연을 끊게 된 계기가 된 것이죠. 

First, it's how I was coerced into going. I told my instructor that I was not at all interested in going. It seemed to be too much for me (all that self-discovery stuff). Second, I had a very important appointment that Sunday with someone. I was very excited about that particular appointment, which took me months to get. 
첫번째로 참여의 과정이 매우 강제적이라는 것입니다. 저는 사범에게 거기에 참여하고 싶지 않다고 말했습니다. 자아를 발견한다는 것이 아직은 제겐 벅차다고 느꼈습니다. 두번째로 일요일날 제겐 매우 중요한 약속이 있었습니다. 이 약속은 한달동안의 노력으로 이루어진 것이었습니다. 

Well, my instructor called me up at work 2 days before the weekend. He said that he needed to tell me something. He wanted me to go to the center that evening (it was a Thursday). I asked him if it could wait until the next day. He said he really needed to tell me something. So I said, OK, I'll be there. 
근데요..내 사범은 목요일 날 저를 불렀습니다. 그는 무언가 말할게 있다고 하더군요. 하루 연기해서 만나자고 했지만 꼭 오라고 하더군요. 저는 거기에 응했습니다.

I went there that evening and he told me that he had a vision of me advancing towards enlightenment if I went that weekend [to Shim Sung]. He guaranteed it, if I did my absolute best. (Yeah, brainwashing does require you to give your full self and trust). He saw (in his vision) that I "jumped up a lot" in terms of energy levels and spirituality that coming weekend at Shim Sung, if I did my 100%. I told him that I had plans, but he convinced me that Shim Sung was more important. 
그는 나에게 말하더군요. 제가 심성에 가면 깨달음으로 이르게 할 수많은 비전을 만날거라고요. 그는 보장한다고 했습니다. 만일 제가 최선을 다해 참가한다면 그렇게 될거라고 하더군요.(그렇죠.. 세뇌는 여러분에게 그것을 신뢰하고 거기에 여러분을 내던지라고 요구합니다.) 특히 의식수준과 영적으로 높은 '도약'이 있을거라고 말했습니다. 그래서 저는 주말에 다른 약속이 있다고 이야기 했지만 그는 심성수련이 더욱 중요하다고 닥달했습니다. 

So I went, canceling my important plans that had to do with a possible future career. I must have been possessed to cancel that appointment and go that weekend, but I wanted to believe him. After the training, I started to wonder if my instructor was pushed to have a certain number of people from his center to attend this training, since there were only 2 from our center who were going. Is t hat why he called me about his vision of me advancing spiritually that weekend? It seems like the masters would manipulate things through the use of visions. 
그래서 나는 갔습니다. 나의 직장과 관계된 중요한 약속들을 취소하고 말이죠. 나는 그러면서까지 그를 믿고 싶어했습니다. 심성수련이 끝나고 저는 의아했습니다. 그가 나에게 강요했던 이유가 내가 다니던 지원에서 가능한 많은 사람을 참가시키려 했던게 아닐까하고 말이지요. 내가 다니던 선원은 단지 2사람만이 참석을 했습니다. 단지 이런 것을 위해 제가 주말에 심성수련에 참가해야 했던 것일까요? 마치 지원장이 비전이라는 명목으로 저를 속인다는 느낌을 받았습니다. 

Shim Sung was one of the weirdest experiences of my life. But I promised to do my 100%. My instructor had become a good friend and I confided in him my life problems. Don't ask me why I did that, or how he got me to do it. He's a pro. He has such an understanding and soothing voice and mannerism. It makes a person feel so comfortable. He gained my trust, although I only knew him for a brief period of time. 
심성수련은 제 삶에 있어 가장 이상한 경험중의 하나였습니다. 하지만 저는 최선을 다하리라 다짐했죠. 사범은 좋은 친구가 되었고 저는 그와 인생에 관한 문제에 대해 조언을 얻을만큼 신뢰했습니다. 왜 내가 그랬는지, 어떻게 그가 나를 그렇게 만들었는지는 묻지 마십시오. 그는 '프로'였습니다. 그에게는 '이해력'과 점잖은 목소리와 매너리즘이 있었습니다. 이것은 상대방을 매우 편안하게 만들지요. 그는 이런식으로 짧은 시간에 저의 신뢰를 얻었던 것입니다. 

Shim Sung training was a process of hours and hours of emotionally draining exercises. This included hours of "sharing" exercises. It was a very emotional weekend for me and I came out of it in a trance. By the time I got home, I had no feelings. I tried hard to shake off the strange feeling of being in a dream state and tried to carry on a normal conversation with my fiance. I told him everything was fine. The weekend was fun and it was okay. 
심성수련은 감정을 배출하는 시간의 과정이었습니다. 여기에는 '나눔'을 하는 과정이 있었습니다. 매우 '감성적인 주말'을 보낸뒤 집을 돌아왔을때 내가 느낀 것이라곤 아무것도 없었습니다. 수면상태와도 같은 야릇한 기분을 떨쳐버리려 무진 애를 쓰며 약혼녀와 일상적인 대화를 나누려 했습니다. 나는 그에게 그에게 주말은 재미있고 좋았다고 이야기 했습니다. 

My fiancée and my mother had suspicions about Dahnhak, especially because of the money spent and how I told them about my discomfort at the other weekend sessions/retreat. But I told him not to worry about me and went to bed. 
내 약혼자와 나의 어머니는 단학에 대해 의혹을 느끼기 시작했습니다. 특히 많은 돈을 지불한것과 기타 주말과정에서 제가 느꼈던 불편함에 대해 이야기를 듣고 더욱 그러한 느낌을 받게 되었습니다. 하지만 나는 너무 걱정할 일이 아니라고 하고 잠을 청했습니다. 

The next day, I felt really strange. Something just felt very wrong. I kept saying to myself "something is wrong, something is very wrong," but had no idea why I felt that way. I just had this awful gut feeling. Something felt really off. 
다음날, 제겐 정말 이상한 기분이 들었습니다. 무엇인가가 잘못되었다고나 할까요. 나는 스스로에게 되었습니다. "이건 뭔가 문제가 있다고.. 뭔가 문제가 있어..." 하지만 왜 제가 그런식으로 느꼈는가에 대해서는 알 수가 없었습니다. 이상한 기분은.. 무언가가 빠져있다는 느낌이었습니다. 

As the day progressed, I started to feel really upset and scared. I got a really bad feeling. After some thought, I considered the possibility that Dahnhak was some sort of "cult," although it didn't make sense to me. 
시간이 흘러가면서 저는 매우 화가 나고 무서웠습니다. 매우 나쁜 기분이 들기 시작했습니다. 생각을 가다듬은뒤, 저는 어쩌면 단학이 컬트와도 같다고 생각했습니다. 비록 이것이 그때는 '이해'되지 못했지만요.. 느낌으로 그랬습니다. 

How could an organization that promoted peace and love as their ultimate mission have any malicious intentions? And why? Then I thought about the money. Where in the world did it all go? In the past 3 months, I'd spent approximately $1,800 (including a one-year membership, which is NOT refundable). 
이 조직(단월드, 단요가 , 단센터)처럼 평화와 사랑을 궁극적인 사명으로 내세우는 조직에게 사악한 의도를 느끼는 이유가 뭘까? 왜일까? 그때 저는 '돈'에 대해 생각하게 되었습니다. 세상에서 돈이 전부란 말일까? 지난 3달동안, 저는 1800불정도를 그들에게 지불했습니다. (거기엔 1년간의 회원비가 포함되어 있습니다. 물론 환불은 안되고요..) 

Did they really think they could enlighten people in the 2 days of Shim Sung training? Maybe not enlighten, but perhaps "brainwash." It was hours and hours of brainwashing. Yes, I think they may have succeeded in a few of us, myself included. 
그들은 정말 이틀만의 심성훈련으로 사람들을 깨닫게 한다고 생각하는 것일까? 어쩌면 깨닫게 하는게 아니라 '세뇌'하는 거라는 생각이 들었습니다. 여러 시간동안의 세뇌였습니다. 그렇습니다. 나는 그들이 나를 포함해 몇몇 사람들을 세뇌 시켰다고 생각합니다. 

Here's part of an email that I wrote to my best friend the week after the shim sung weekend: 
여기 제가 심성수련 참가 후 친한 친구들에게 보냈던 이메일중 일부를 공개합니다. 

I actually started to scare myself... I went through so many emotions and weird feelings this past week. I went from 'everything is fine' to doubt to anger to denial to understanding which lead back to denial and then to anger and then to confusion and then to 'I'm fine' then to acceptance and then to 'am I going insane?' finally to uncertainty (where I am right now). If you think the mumbo jumbo that I just wrote was confusing, imagine bouncing through all those emotions in a week. There was a point that I thought I was going insane (that scared the living daylights out of me!!!). 
나는 스스로를 두렵게 만들기 시작했어.. 나는 너무나 많은 감정과 느낌들을 그때 겪었지. 나는 '모든게 괜찮아'라는 긍정적인 생각부터 의심으로, 분노로, 부정으로.. 수많은 감정의 변화를 겪게 되었어.. 그러다 보니 '내가 미쳐가는게 아닐까?'라는 생각이 들더군. 결국 불확실한 느낌만 받았어.. '내가 지금 어디에 있는거지' 하는.. 그런 느낌 말이야.. 만일 내가 위에 쓴 말도 안되는 횡설수설하는 말들이 이해가 안간다면 한주 동안 내가 겪은 그 심한 감정의 기복을 너도 생각해 주기 바래.. 내가 미쳐가기 시작한다고 생각하게된 시점이 있었어.. 

I'll just briefly (or I'll try to be brief) tell you why I felt that way... (Oh and I've been having dreams about it too!!). Before I forget, the coworker I asked (he came from Korea very recently) about Dahnhak said that he practiced it for 2 years in college. But he said that there are many branches of Dahn. He told me that he was able to feel a strong energy in his body... and he was able to feel strength, but he also warned me to be careful about which programs to choose. He warned me about a few things and I think that sort of snapped me out doubting my instincts). 
내가 왜 그렇게 느끼게 되었는지 짤막하게 나마 이야기 해줄께.. 나는 한국에서 온 동료에게 단학에 대해 물었어.. 그는 2년간 대학에서 수련했다고 하는데.. Dahn에는 여러가지 단체가 있다고 하더군. 그는 자신의 몸에서 이상한 기운을 느낄 수 있다고 말했어. 하지만 또한 힘을 느낄 수 있다고 하고.. 여하튼 내게 가입시 신중을 기하라고 말해주었지. 그는 나에게 주의해야 할 사항을 몇가지 말해주었는데 나는 그말을 들으니 한대 얻어맞은듯 감이 온거야.. 

I'll start with last Sunday night when I came back from the shim sung training. Yes, [my fiance] has been worried for a while about me, and so has my mom. But I paid them no attention. I thought they were paranoid. Really, I didn't think they would understand. I remember when I walked into my apartment that Sunday night and [my fiance] came to greet me, I felt like it was all a dream. I think I was actually sort of in a trance. I learned that many cults use meditation and the like to put people in altered states of consciousness (known as dissociation in psychiatry) to brainwash. I think I was very (!!!) dangerously close to being completely brainwashed. It was like a type of hypnosis. And I was trapped this weekend geographically. Participation was mandatory (yes, one would wonder, how could anyone make you do anything? But it was done!) 
내가 심성수련에서 돌아온 지난 일요일 밤부터 이야기를 해줄께. 그래 내 약혼자는 나에 대해 걱정하기 시작했어. 내 어머니도 그랬고.. 하지만 나는 신경쓰지 않았지. 잠시 혼란을 겪고 있다고 생각했던거야. 실은, 그들이 나를 이해하지 못하기 때문이라고 생각했어. 내가 아파트에 들어서고 약혼자가 나를 반길때 모든게 꿈처럼 몽롱했어. 일종의 혼수상태 비슷했다고나 할까. 나중에야 안거지만 많은 사이비 집단들은 명상이나 그와 비슷한 것을 사람들로 하여금 세뇌를 위한 의식의 전이 상태로 이끄는데 사용한대. 나는 세뇌당하기 일보 직전까지 갔음을 알게 된거지. 그것은 일종의 최면술과도 같았어. 나는 그들의 술수에 걸려든거야. 참가는 의무적이었거든.(그래, 의아할거야, 어떻게 누군가가 다른사람을 조종할 수 있냐고.. 하지만 그렇게 하고 있는걸!) 

Going back to the evening that I got home from shim sung, I felt really strange and I tried really hard to shake it off. Things seemed trivial to me. It's like being drunk or on drugs, but you know you didn't take any of it... you know it's not from lack of sleep and it's not from food deprivation (although many of us were hungry during most of the program). It was induced some other way. And everything felt fine. Like when you're drunk or buzzed, you just feel mellow and dandy. But my mind was sort of questioning this weird feeling and I tried so hard to come back to reality. I told [my fiance] that everything was fine, "don't worry about me", I said. But Monday, it just hit me. Something just felt wrong. I was not in the dream state anymore, but I felt fear... I was really scared. Well, I emailed Joe* (one of the cool masters) and maybe I shouldn't have, but I needed to make sense of what I was feeling and fast... before I thought I was gonna lose it. I couldn't talk to my mom or [my fiance] about it at that point because they already had very strong opinions against it. It turned out that Joe* became like a confidante last week and we exchanged very verbose emails back and forth, back and forth. And my opinions started to shift again. But while I was getting positive explanations of what I experienced, I continued to look up mind control, etc on the Internet.... I needed that balance. I started to agree with Joe* that this was all a misunderstanding due to cultural differences. I then decided that I was being unfair, jumping the gun and making judgments like I did. Joe* had every explanation... and it actually made sense. I was trying to be open-minded. But then I found out that cults often hook you in by gaining your trust. They become your friends and provide security. 
내가 심성에서 돌아간날 저녁에, 나는 매우 이상한 기분을 느꼈고 이 기분을 떨쳐내려 무진 애를 썼어. 모든게 귀찮게 느껴졌지. 마치 술에 취하거나 약을 했을때처럼 말이야, 하지만 어찌할 수 없다는 걸 너도 알거야. 이건 수면부족이나 배고픔에 기인한게 아니거든. 나는 다른 방식으로 생각하게 되었어. 그러니 모든게 괜찮아 지더군. 네가 술에 취하거나 어지러울때 기분이 좋고 환해지지만 내마음은 이게 무슨 이상한 마음일까하는 의구심이 들고 현실로 돌아오려 노력하게 되는것 처럼 말이지. 나는 약혼자에게 모든게 괜찮으니 "걱정하지 말라"고 말했어. 하지만 월요일날, 그게 아니었어 무언가 안좋은 느낌이 든거야 나는 더이상 몽환상태에 있는게 아니었어. 두렵고 겁이 났어.. 정말로 겁이 났어. 그래서.. 나는 Joe(내가 좋아하는 사범)에게 메일을 보냈어.. 보내지 말걸 하는 생각이 들었지만 내가 느끼고 있는게 무엇인지 빨리 알아야 한다는 생각이 들었거든. 비밀을 터놓을 수 있는 친구처럼 여러통의 이메일을 주고 받았지. 그러다 보니 나의 의견이 다시 바뀌기 시작했어. 나는 내가 경험한 것에 대해 긍정적인 설명들을 받아들이긴 했지만, 마인드 콘트롤과 기타의 것들을 인터넷에서 찾기 시작하게 되었지. 나는 균형을 필요로 했어. 그리고 Joe의 말처럼 이것은 '문화의 차이'에 기인한 오해라는 의견에 동의하게 되었지. 하지만 그후 이는 '부당'하다고 느끼게 되었고, 내가 했던 것처럼 단호한 판단을 내려야 한다고 생각하게 되었어. Joe는 정말 설명을 잘해.. 그의 말은 합리성이 있지. 그러나 나는 열린 마음을 지니려 노력했지만, 사이비는 신뢰를 얻음으로써 상대를 낚아챈다는 걸 알게 된거야. 즉 그들은 너의 친구가 되어 안전함을 준다는 거지. 

I read about American POWs who were brainwashed during the Korean war who, when released, decided that they did not want to leave... and the scary part is that I now can understand that well. I never realized how powerful it could be and very dangerous. But is it really dangerous to promote "we are all One and all part of the cosmic energy"? It isn't promoting anger. Why is it that they would want to brainwash people to be in bliss? They are not violent people so why be concerned? However, it does all go back to the money issue. I won't tell you how much I spent since I joined... and it wasn't just this weekend. If it is actually being funneled back to grand master lee, I will have to commend him for his genius. 
나는 한국전 당시 세뇌가 된 미군 포로들에 대한 책을 읽었어. 그들은 석방되었을때에도 돌아가려 하지 않았다더군.. 그리고 정말 무서운 점은 내가 그들의 심정을 '이해'하게 되었다는 거야. 나는 세뇌가 얼마나 강력하고 무서운 것인지 알지 못했어. "우리는 모두 하나이며 천지 기운의 일부이다"라는 게 정말로 위험할까? 그것은 전쟁처럼 위험을 조장하지는 않지. 하지만 왜 그들은 사람들이 더없는 행복을 느끼게 하려고 세뇌를 시키는 걸까? 그들은 폭력적이지도 않은데 왜 그런걸까? 하지만 거기엔 '돈'이라는 문제가 있다고.. 내가 거기에 합류한뒤 얼마나 많은 돈을 썼는지는 말하지 않을께.. 단지 저번주말의 심성수련만이 아니야.. 만일 그돈이 모두 이승헌 대선사에게 빨려 들어간다면 나는 정말이지 그를 '천재'라고 불러야 할꺼야. 

I was thinking that they could have told me anything that weekend... and I think I might have believed it.... they (dahnhakers) frowned upon competition... so many weird things happened... I can't even explain it all. Let's just say that if the retreat were one day longer, I would have been a different person. And it scares me so much. I think they did succeed in brainwashing me in some sense because I am still wavering back and forth, wondering if I am actually wrong. 
그들은 어쩌면 심성수련때 무엇이든 말할 수 있었을지 몰라.. 그리고 나는 그것들을 모두 믿었을지도 모르지. 그들(단학인들)은 경쟁에 내몰리고 있어.. 그래서 이상한 많은 일들이 일어났지.. 나는 그걸 다 설명할 수도 없어. 단지 말할 수 있는 것은 만일 심성수련이 하루만 더 진행되었어도, 나는 아마 다른 사람이 되어있을지 몰라. 그건 정말 무서워. 나는 아직도 혼란스럽고 내가 어딘가 잘못된가아닌가 하고 느끼는 걸 보면 그들이 나를 세뇌시키는데 어느정도 성공한것 같기도 해. 

Anyway, going back to how brainwashing (mind control is done), I think I checked off everything on the list of the brainwashing protocol... it all happened that weekend. They break you down (often stirring up great emotions) and build you back up. Supposedly they often say that there will be a birth of a new person in you (a rebirth, so to speak) and exactly that was done. They said to us on Saturday night, "this will be the last day of your old self... say good-bye to your old self". Don't tell me why that didn't strike me as weird at the time. In fact they actually convinced me to some point that it was exciting... I will tell you more about it when I see you. But I'm okay. Sometimes I feel absolutely fine and other times, I think I'm losing my marbles. I feel like a recovering alcoholic. Or maybe it's likened to a feeling of breaking up with someone. It's really weird. 
어쨌든, 세뇌가 어떻게 진행되었는지로 돌아가보자구. 세뇌 규약의 리스트들을 다시 되짚어보자구.. 그들은 참가자들을 무너지게 만들어(특별한 감정을 뒤흔들어서..) 그리고 다시 자신에게로 돌아오게 하지. 그들은 토요일밤에 우리에게 말했어. "오늘은 과거의 여러분자신에 대한 마지막 날이 될 것입니다. 과거의 자신에 작별을 고하십시오..." 당시 왜 이상하게 느끼지 못했냐고 묻지는 말아줘. 사실 그들의 행동은 내게 '흥미롭다'는 느낌을 주었거든... 널 만났을때 더 자세한 걸 이야기해줄께. 나는 괜찮아. 때론 나자신이 매우 괜찮다고 느끼지만 또 다른 때에는 나의 마음을 잃어버린 듯한 느낌이 들어. 마치 나는 회복중인 알콜중독자 처럼 느껴져. 아니면 누군가와 이별한 느낌이랄까.. 정말 이상해. 

P.S.: (a few days later): I'm forgetting everything now, I pretty much blocked it from my mind to keep from going crazy. Things are getting better. I might not even want to talk about it when I see you, It was too weird and thinking about it might make me go insane. 
추신: (며칠뒤): 나는 모든걸 잊어버렸어. 이제는 더이상 그런 미친 상태로 가지 않을거야. 느낌도 점점 좋아져. 너를 만났을때 더이상 그것에 관해 이야기하지 않아도 될 것 같아. 너무나도 이상한 경험이었기에 그것에 대해 생각하는게 오히려 나를 미치게 할 것 같아.. 

They are playing mind games and they are experts. Some masters may be just as brainwashed as I almost was. But the master at my center was manipulative and, damn, he was good. "You'll come back, you'll miss us," he said to me in his calm gentle voice. "I want to provide a home, a nest for the members," he said softly. 
그들은 심리게임을 벌인거였습니다. 그들은 전문가거든요. 몇몇 사범들은 내가 당했던 것처럼 세뇌를 당했을지도 모릅니다. 하지만 내가 다녔던 지원의 사범은 교묘한 사람이었습니다. 그는 보통이 아니었습니다. "돌아오실 겁니다.. 우리를 그리워할걸요" 그는 조용하고 나지막한 목소리로 말했죠. "나는 회원들에게 쉴곳, 안식처를 주고 싶어요" 그는 부드럽게 말하더군요. 

But what if we already have a home? 
그러나 만약 우리가 이미 가정이 있다면 무엇이란 말인가? 

I will miss Dahnhak; he was right about that. 
나는 Dahnhak를 놓칠 것이다; 그는 저것에 관하여 맞았다. 

Looking back it seems like he demonstrated some psychological manipulation when he said, "You have too much doubt. Look at Lin, she is doing well& she has no doubt. You should be like that. Be like a baby. She is like a baby." Lin is 45 years old. 
돌이켜 보건대 그 사범은 심리전에 능한 것 같아. 그는 다음과 같이 말했지 "의심이 너무 많은 것 같아요. 린을 보세요. 그분은 의심없이 열심히 하고 계십니다. 님도 그분처럼 되어야 합니다. 그분은 아기같잖아요." 린은 45세의 여성입니다. 

I started to question things. Okay, he knows I'm competitive (I confessed that very emotionally during Shim Sung) and he later threw it in my face (albeit in his sly manner), playing on things that I told him. He told me I was confused, but never abandoning that gentle soothing voice of his. He never lost his patience, but pushed me subliminally with his soothing gentle voice. 
나는 의문을 가지기 시작했습니다. 그래요. 그는 나는 경쟁심을 느꼈습니다.(고백하건데 심성수련당시 감정적으로 그랬습니다.) 그리고 나중에 그는 제 면전에서 그걸 짚더군요(매우 교활한 방식으로요.) 내가 그에게 말했던 것들로 말장난을 하면서요. 그는 내가 혼란스러워 한다고 말하면서도 점잖은 목소리는 바꾸지 않았습니다. 그는 결코 인내심을 잃지도 않았지만, 그는 점잖은 목소리로 잠재적이나마 저에게 압박을 가하곤 했습니다. 

I had confided in him things that bothered me. For the Chakra training, we wrote down what would prevent us from completely being happy. He played on everything that was within my list. 
나는 나를 괴롭힌 일들을 통해 그 사범을 신뢰하고 있었습니다. 차크라 수련당시, 우리의 행복을 가로막는 것들에 대해 쓰곤 했습니다. 그는 내가 쓴 목록의 모든 것을 가지고 말장난을 하곤 했습니다. 

At Shim Sung we also had to write why we were there. Again, everything you're looking for, they will be sure to provide. To make you want to believe. They take your hope and make it real. 
심성수련당시 우리는 왜 거기에 있는가에 대해 써내려 갔습니다. 다시, 여러분이 찾고 있는 모든 것을 그들이 제공해 줄 거라고 했습니다. 여러분이 믿기 원하도록 만들기 위해 그들은 여러분의 희망을 실제적인 것인양 이야기 해 주겠지요. 

It's like they brainwash you into thinking everything is perfect. I mean, why wouldn't it be if you are me and I am you? Being One with the Cosmic Energy in this way can cost you your identity and individuality. 
그것은 여러분들로 하여금 모든 것이 완벽하다고 생각하게끔 세뇌하는 것과 같습니다. 제가 말하려는 것은 왜 천지기운과 하나되기 위하여 여러분의 정체성과 개인적인 성향마저 모두 희생해야 하냐는 것이죠. 

According to Grand Master Lee, one of the greatest preconceptions is the desire to be recognized. Yes, I think that was sufficiently stressed and drilled into my psyche. But then how come Grand Master Lee seems to want to be recognized? Oh, I'm sorry, I am having too much doubt and having too much negative energy right now. 
이승헌 씨에 따르면, 가장 큰 선입견 중의 하나가 알려지길 바라는 욕구라고 합니다. 그렇습니다. 그것은 충분히 강조 되었고 제마음속에 각인되었습니다. 하지만 이승헌 대선사가 알려지길 바라는 것 처럼 보이는 건 어찌된거죠? 오.. 죄송합니다. 저는 의심이 너무나 많아서 부정적인 기가 지금 너무 충만해 있나 봅니다. 

That week immediately following Shim Sung, I was scared. Scared at one point because I couldn't feel. I wanted to feel something, anger, jealousy, anything. I had no feelings and that scared me. I could have been told that I would die the next day and I still would have no feelings. I would accept everything. It was a weird and scary feeling. 
심성수련이 있은 바로 다음에 저는 두려웠습니다. 아무것도 느낄 수 없음이 두려웠습니다. 무언가를 느끼길 바랬습니다. 화, 질투, 무엇이든지요. 아무것도 느낄 수 없다는 게 저를 두렵게 만들었습니다. 다음날 죽는다 해도 아무것도 느낄 수 없을 만큼요. 그리고 저는 지금도 아무것도 느낄 수 없습니다. 무엇이든 받아들일 수 있을 것 같았습니다. 그것은 이상하고도 무서운 느낌이었습니다.

I expressed my concern about Shim Sung to my instructor and he tried to convince me that it was just training and the masters didn't mean what they said. But I'm sorry it was just like brainwashing. And there is no explaining that. 
심성수련에 대한 이런 우려를 사범에게 이야기 했고 그는 저에게 그것은 단지 훈련일뿐이며 진의는 그런게 아니라고 안심시켰습니다. 하지만 미안한 말이지만 그것은 단지 세뇌일 뿐인것 같다고 생각했습니다. 거기엔 설명할 필요가 없는 것이죠. 

Is that why they made us promise not to tell anyone anything that went on that weekend? 
왜 그들은 주말 심성수련에 대해 타인에게 말하지 말라고 하는 것일까요? 

Is it because someone who wasn't brainwashed might actually figure out what the hell was going on? If I hadn't held back, if I didn't have some doubt, if I had given myself completely and absolutely, and if I didn't live with my fiance to knock some sense into me, I assure you that I would not be here writing this. I would have been sucked in.
 아마도 세뇌당하지 않은 이들이 그곳에서 일어나는 일에 대해 알아채지 못하게 하려는 것 아닐까요? 만일 내가 회의 하지 않았다면, 만일 완전히 거기에 몰입하지 않았다면, 그리고 저의 약혼자가 저를 '깨우지' 않았다면 나는 지금 이 글을 쓰고 있지 못할 겁니다. 완전히 빠져들었겠죠. 

I didn't write this to hurt anyone or to defame anyone. I genuinely like the members and some of the masters. I believe that spirituality can help the world, but brainwashing is not the way to get there. I just wanted to share my side of the story and I hope this might help people who share similar gut feelings about Dahnhak. Follow your instincts. If you think something is not right. 
나는 누군가에게 상처를 주거나 흠집을 내려고 이글을 쓰지 않았습니다. 나는 진심으로 회원들과 일부 사범들은 좋아합니다. 나는 단학이 정신적으로나마 세상을 도울 수 있다고 믿고 있지만 세뇌는 그런데 쓰여서는 안된다고 생각합니다. 나는 단지 이 이야기를 공유하고 싶고 이 이야기가 단학에 대해 유사한 느낌을 받는 분들에게 도움이 되었으면 하고 쓴것입니다. 여러분의 본능을 따르십시오. 만일 무엇인가 옳지 않다고 느끼면요. Some questions for the members out there: Why do the instructors rotate?거기있는 회원들을 위한 질문: 왜 사범들이 교체 되죠? 

They may say it's to help them grow and experience new things by broadening themselves and expanding their abilities, but could it be that Grand Master Lee doesn't want them to become too attached to places and people? Could it be that he wants them to be constantly on the move to keep them from being too comfortable and to keep their minds busy? 
그들은 사범의 교체가 성장에 도움이 되고 새로운 것을 경험하게 하는데 도움을 준다고 말하지만, 그것이 이승헌 대선사가 사범들이 사람들과 오래 관계를 맺고 한곳에 있는 걸 원하지 않는 다는 이유가 되는 걸까요? 그것이 이승헌 대선사가 계속해서 사범들을 이동시켜 편안함에 안주하지 않게하고 그들의 마음을 늘 바쁘게 한다는 이유가 되는 걸까요? 

I think a lot of the masters are so brainwashed that they would do anything for Grand Master Lee. Dr. Seung Heun Lee is the creator and Grand Master of Dahn Hak and Brain Respiration. Did he really create this Dahn Hak principle? Or is it that he created THE WAY to achieve enlightenment through his own simple exercises, which seem like "brainwashing," in relation to Dahn? Ilchi Lee is his spiritual name, say good-bye to his old self! 
수많은 사범들이 너무나 세뇌되었기에 그들은 이승헌 대선사를 위해 무엇이든 하려들 것입니다. 이승헌 씨는 단학과 뇌호흡의 창시자이자 대선사이기도 합니다. 하지만 그가 과연 단학의 원리를 창시했을까요? 아니면 그가 세뇌같은 단순한 수련을 통해 깨달음을 얻게 해주는 방법을 단(丹)과 연관지어 만들어낸 걸까요? 

To those who took Shim Sung, does that sound familiar? 
심성 수련 다녀오신 분 뭔가 느껴지시지 않나요? 

My instructor kept telling me that I had to be like a baby. Babies have pure hearts, unconditional love, no doubt, and do not hesitate to say exactly what is on their minds - they do not hide any thoughts (did anyone else experience this?) At the time, it didn't even strike me as weird. I actually tried hard to regress in order to become like that. He also told me not to think, and that all answers should come from the soul. "You have too much doubt! Do not use your mind so much," he would always tell me. I believed him. I still do agree that I should listen to my heart, but I think it shouldn't always overrule the mind like he suggested it should. 
사범은 저에게 어린아이처럼 되어야 한다고 말했습니다. 아이들은 순수한 마음을 가졌고, 조건없는 사랑을 보이며 의심이 없고 마음속에 있는 것을 말하는데 주저함이 없다고 합니다. 그들은 정말 생각을 숨기지 않습니다. (다른 누가 이런 경험을 했겠습니까?) 당시 저는 이런 말이 이상하게 와닿지 않았습니다. 저는 아이처럼 돌아가기 위해 무던히 애를 썼습니다. 그는 또 말하길 생각하려 하지마라. 모든 답은 영혼에서 나올것이라고 하더군요. "당신은 너무나 의심이 많아요! 마음을 너무 많이 쓰지 말기 바랍니다.", 그는 항상 저에게 말하곤 했죠. 저는 그를 믿었죠. 저는 자신의 마음에 귀를 기울여야 한다는 데에는 여전히 동의합니다. 하지만 사범이 당시 제안했던 것 처럼 지나치게 강조되어서는 안된다고 생각합니다. 

Did the masters ever tell you that any weird feelings that we were experiencing were good? I suppose my trance state was a sign of enlightenment? 
혹시 사범이 여러분에게 우리가 겪었던 기묘한 느낌이 좋다고 말한적 있나요? 그런 무아지경의 상태가 깨달음의 신호일까요? 

A friend in Dahnhak, whom I no longer keep in contact with, said that she was overwhelmed by all the readings and follow-up sessions required after these weekend sessions/workshops. Was it going to take over her life? 
제가 더이상 연락하지 않는 단학의 친구는 심성수련과 워크샵이 후 모든 단학서적과 기타 수련과정에 마음을 빼앗겼다고 합니다. 과연 단학이 그녀의 인생을 떠맡게 될까요? 

What about all those sharing exercises (Shim Sung) where you told all your deepest secrets to people you just met? There was such a pressure to share your stories with everyone. Why did we expose ourselves like that? 
심성에서 '나눔'에 대해 말해보죠. 거기에서 방금만사람들에게 여러분의 가장 비밀스런것까지 말했던건 어떻든가요? 모든 사람과 그런 이야기를 나누도록 강요가 있었죠. 왜 우리는 그런 것까지 서로에게 알려야 했을까요? 

Why does everyone always clap after person shares something? 
왜 모든이들이 무언가를 '나눔'하고 나면 박수를 쳤을까요? 

Indeed, not every member will become affected by the workshops like me. Many do carry on with their lives and pursue their dreams, but if they do attain that success, they will probably owe it to Dahnhak and pledge their allegiance to it. 
실제로는, 모든이들이 저처럼 워크샵의 영향을 받게 되지는 않을 겁니다. 많은 사람들은 자신의 삶을 살고 그들의 꿈을 향해 가겠죠. 하지만 만일 그들이 성공한다면 그들은 아마도 단학에 공을 돌리고 충성을 다짐할 겁니다. 

I think my instructor spotted me as one who would drop everything to become one of them right away and he was right. I was not satisfied and not fulfilled with my life, and I was in the perfect vulnerable position where I could have been completely influenced by them. 저는 사범이 제가 바로 그만 둘 사람이란걸 알아챘는지 모릅니다. 그의 예상이 맞았죠. 당시 저는 제삶에 만족하지도 못했고 아직 이룬 것도 없었습니다. 무엇보다 당시 어쩌면 그들에 의해 완전히 영향을 받을지도 몰랐을만큼 '약한 상태'에 있었습니다.

수련중 마리화나가 나왔다는 글입니다.

I started to feel dizzy, very sick" 
“아주 어지럽고 아프기 시작 했어요" 

June 6, 2005 
2005년 6월 6일 
By a Sedona retreat participant 
Sedona수련회에 참여한 사람이 씀 

I was involved with Dahn Hak about 3 years ago. Due to my disappointment, embarrassment at being duped and my shock at the results of my "retreat," this is the first time I have talked about it. 
저는 3년 전에 단학에 참여한 사람입니다. 이 “수련회”에서 속아 넘어가고 결과에 대한 쇼크 때문에 실망하고 창피한 마음 때문에 이번에 처음으로 말을 꺼냅니다. 

I attended the retreat in Sedona, AZ. 
저는 애리조나 세도나에 있는 수련회에 참여 했어요. 

When I stepped off the bus, I knew that something wasn't right with this place, but still decided to see where the weekend went. 
버스에서 내리자, 저는 이곳이 뭔가 수상했습니다, 하지만 이번 주말이 어떻게 될지 일단 보기로 했어요. 

We had dinner and then went into another room. We were meditating with our eyes closed and when we opened them, there sat at the front of the room an attractive Asian man who looked to be late 30's or 40's. He sat behind a bank of flowers and was lit from behind so that it looked as though he had a halo. 
저녁을 먹고 다른 방으로 들어갔습니다. 우리는 눈을 감고 명상하고 있다가 눈을 뜨니까 30-40세로 보이는 매력 있는 동양 남성분이 방 앞에 앉아 있었습니다. 그는 꽃밭 뒤에 앉고 뒤에 불이 들어와서 머리 위에 원광이 있는 것처럼 보였습니다. 

My first thought was, "Oh, My God! This is a cult!" 
제 첫 생각은 “어, 이건 사이비다!”였습니다. 

We went to bed early and got up very early for our morning exercise. 
우리는 잠자리에 일찍 들고 다음날 아침 운동 하기 위해 아주 일찍 일어났습니다. 

As we began, I started to feel dizzy, very sick so I stepped into the next room. 
시작 하면서, 저는 어지럽고, 아주 아파서 다음 방으로 들어갔습니다. 

Hey had someone take my blood pressure and it was 210 over 108! Then they took me back to my room and said a doctor would be with me shortly. Someone took my pressure again, but it had only come down a point or two. 
그들은 제 혈압을 쟀더니 210-108이었습니다. 그런 다음에 그들은 다시 제방으로 데려가서 의사가 금방 온다고 했습니다. 다시 혈압을 쟀지만, 1,2점이 내려갈 뿐이었습니다. 

I take anti-hypertension medication. 
저는 고혈압 약을 먹었습니다. 

The doctor there told me to take another blood pressure pill. In all, she had me take four extra blood pressure pills. 
그 의사는 혈압약을 하나 더 먹으라고 했다. 결국에는 4개를 더 먹었습니다. 

Then I started to get a headache. 
그런 후에 저는 두통이 오기 시작했습니다. 

I have migraines, but this headache was far worse. I felt as if my head might explode. 
저는 편두통이 있지만, 이 두통은 훨씬 심했습니다. 머리가 터질 듯 했습니다. 

The doctor then had me take one of my migraine meds and wrapped my head with a cold dry cloth. 
의사는 제 두통약을 하나 먹게 하고 머리를 차갑고 말린 헝겊으로 샀습니다. 

Over the course of the evening I rested and my blood pressure started to subside a bit as did the headache. I decided then that I was going home. I went to the office (the only phone is there) and checked with the airport to change my flight. I then called my husband to let him know that I was coming home. 
저녁 동안에 저는 쉬면서 혈압과 두통이 조금씩 낳아지기 시작 했습니다. 저는 집에 가기로 결정 했습니다. 저는 오피스에서 전화해서 (전화는 거기에 밖에 없었습니다) 공항에서 출발 날짜를 바꿨습니다. 그런 후에 남편에게 전화해서 집에 돌아간다고 알렸어요. 

A young woman behind the desk said that that in the morning they would give me a ride to the airport. 
데스크 뒤에 서있던 어린 여성은 아침에 공항까지 데려다 준다고 했서요. 

I played it cool, afraid that if I yelled and hollered they might not take me to the airport and it was too far and too hot to walk. I remember sitting outside the office and seeing the smiles on all their faces and feeling envious that they seemed so peaceful. 
저는 제가 소리를 지르면 안 데려줄 까봐 두려워서 침착하게 대답 했습니다. 물론 걸어가기에는 너무 멀고 더웠죠. 저는 오피스 밖에 앉아서 그들이 웃는 것을 본것이 기억납니다.. 그들이 너무 평화롭게 보여서요. 

People at the retreat tried very hard to talk me out of going, but I said I was sick and needed to go home. 
수련회에 있던 사람들은 있으라고 힘을 다해서 설득하려고 했죠. 하지만 저는 아프다면서 집에 가야 할 것 같다고 했죠. 

On the way to the airport, the young man behind the wheel talked constantly about how wonderful Dahn Hak was and it was a shame I was going home and when should he tell them I would be back. 
공항에 가는 길에 운전하던 남성분은 자꾸 단학이 얼마나 좋은지에 대해서 얘기를 하고 제가 집에 돌아가는 것이 너무 안됐다며 그들에게 언제 돌아온다고 해야 할지 묻더군요. 

I said that I didn't know, and was too sick to think about it. 
저는 너무 아파서 거기까지 생각을 못한다고 했습니다. 

Once home, I called and made an appointment with my personal physician. 
집에 돌아오자, 저는 제 내과의사와 약속을 했어요. 

She was aghast that the doctor at Dahn Hak had me take extra blood pressure medicine. 
그녀는 단학에 있는 의사가 저보고 혈압약을 더 먹게 한 것에 숨이 넘어갔습니다. 

My physician said that it could have stopped my heart! 
그러면서 그게 제 심장을 멈추게(죽을수도 있다고)했을 수도 있었다는 것이죠! 

I asked her if she thought that they could have put something in my food. 
저는 그녀에게 그들이 음식물에 무엇을 집어넣었을지 생각하냐고 물어 봤습니다. 

My doctor ran tests to find out. 
그녀는 검사를 했죠. 

By then my blood pressure was back to its regular level and the headache was gone. A CAT Scan of my head was negative for any abnormalities that might have caused the headache. 
그때 혈압이 보통으로 돌아가고 두통이 없었습니다. CAT스캔을 돌려보니 머리에서 두통을 나오게 할 것이 없었습니다. 

A day or two later, my MD called with the results of my tests. They were positive for marijuana! 
며칠 후에 제 의사는 전화해서 검사 결과를 주었습니다. 마리화나가 있었다고 그랬습니다! 

But I've never smoked marijuana in my life. Just the smell of the smoke made me ill so, I assumed I was probably allergic to it. 

저는 인생에서 마리화나를 핀 적이 한번도 없었습니다. 연기냄새만 맡아도 속이 쓰려서, 아마 그에 알레르기가 있을 것이라고 생각 했죠. 

Could the reason everyone seemed so peaceful at the retreat be that they were stoned? 
그들이 거기서 평화로웠던 이유가 그들이 마약에 취해서 인가요? 

I called the Arizona authorities, but there was nothing they could do. 
저는 Arizona에 있는 경찰관에 신고 했습니다, 하지만 그들은 아무것도 할 수가 없었어요. 

Dahn Hak called several times, very insistent about talking to me. 
단학은 여러 번 전화해서 저와 얘기하고 싶다고 했죠. 

I told them that drugs had been put in my food at Sedona and that I was very angry and wanted my money back. I felt betrayed by people of whom I had become very fond over the months. 
저는 Sedona에 있는 동안 제 음식물에 마약이 들어갔다며 아주 화나고 돈을 돌려달라고 했어요. 저는 몇 달 동안 친해진 사람들에게 배신당한 느낌이었습니다. 

A check arrived several days later, with no argument. 
며칠 후에 반항도 없이, 수표가 왔습니다. 

I'm sure they hoped I would just go away. 
저는 그들이 우리가 그냥 가버릴 거 같다고 생각 한 게 확실합니다. 

============================================================== 

3.그 당시 줄리아 사건을 보도한 뉴욕 포스트지도 같이 번역해 놓습니다.

Holistic horror lawsuit 
공포의 전체론의 소송 

New York Post/September 4, 2005 
By David Hafetz and Philip Rechhia 

Julia Siverls was voracious, racking up advanced degrees in a dogged pursuit of knowledge that eventually led the Queensborough Community College education professor to a fateful spiritual retreat in the Arizona desert. 
Julia Siverls는 대식가입니다.. 결국에는 Queensborogh Community College에 있는 교육과 교수로 이끌어가는 길에는 높은 레벨의 학위과정을 따고 지식을 얻기 위한 야망이었죠. 이것이 다 운명을 결정하는 Arizona 사막에 있는 수련회로 오게 했습니다. 

Dahnhak, a yoga and holistic-health group, offered to make her a master of its discipline if she completed one last test. 
But that test cost Siverls, 41, her life, her family charges in an explosive $84 million lawsuit. 
단학이라는 전체로의 요가-헬스 그룹은, 그녀가 마지막 한가지 시험을 통과 하면 Master로 만들겠다고 약속 했습니다. 하지만 그 시험의 값은 41세인 그녀의 생명입니다. 그녀의 가족은 단학에게 $8400만이라는 폭발적인 액수를 소송에서 청구하게 했다. 

The suit calls Dahnhak a cult and alleges that it drugged Siverls, loaded her backpack with 40 pounds of rocks, gave her little food or water, then took her on a hike up Casner Mountain, near Sedona, Ariz. 
이 소송은 단학이 사이비 종교라고 불리고 Siverls를 마약에 취하게 하고, 그녀의 가방 속에 40파운드의 돌을 채우고, 음식과 물을 거의 주지않고나서, Sedona, Ariz.에있는 Casner Mountain을 오르게 했다고 합니다. 

She collapsed from dehydration and exhaustion in the desert heat but was forced her to go on and died halfway up the mountain on July 12, 2003, the suit says. 
그녀는 탈수증과 지친 몸으로 고열의 사막의 기온 속에 쓰러졌습니다. 그런데 강압적으로 진행하다가 2003년 7월 12일 반 즈음 오른 산에서 죽었다고 한다. 

"It was total, total neglect," her sister, Veronica Siverls-Dunham, said. "This was a senseless death." 
“이것은 그녀를 책임지는 사람이 책임을 소홀이 한 것입니다.”그녀의 언니인 Veronica Siverls-Dunham이 말했다. “무의미한 죽임이에요.” 

According to police reports obtained by The Post, an off-duty officer spotted the group on the mountain. The officer said Siverls was "hunched over" and had fallen. 
The Post가 얻은 경찰 보고에 의하면 비번인 경찰관이 그 단체를 산에서 봤다고 한다. 그는 Siverls는 “허리를 숙이고” 쓰러졌다고 한다. 

An autopsy found the cause of death to be consistent with "acute heat stroke, dehydration and hyperthermia due to environmental exposure," the suit states. 
부검을 한 결과 그녀의 죽음의 원인이 “열사병, 탈수증, 환경에 방출에 의한 이상고열”이라고 한다. 

Her family believes her meals at the retreat were laced with marijuana and methadone. A vegan, she never touched drugs, it says. 
그녀의 가족은 그녀가 수련회에서 식사한 것이 마리화나와 메타돈이 들었다고 믿는다. 그녀는 절대 채식주의자로 절대로 마약을 만지지 않았다고 한다. 

Siverls-Dunham, a high-school science teacher, called her sister, the youngest of 12 siblings, was the family's "pride and joy." 
고등학교 과학 선생인 Siverls-Dunham씨는 12자매에 가장 어린 그의 여동생이 가족의 “기쁨과 자랑”이었다고 한다. 

The suit says Dahnhak "lures" members with free yoga classes, then pressures them to attend pricey classes and retreats. Named as co-defendants are over a dozen allegedly related operations and Dahnhak's Korean leader, "Grand Master" Seung Huen Lee. 
소송에서는 단학이 무료 요가강의로 회원을 이끌고 나서 압도적으로 비싼 강의와 수련회에 참여하게끔 한다고 한다. 공동피고로 알려진 12개 이상 의 사업체는 단학과 그것의 한국인 지도자 Grand Master라고 칭하는 이승헌과 관련이 있다. 

Chris Scanlon, a Manhattan lawyer for Mago Earth, one of the defendants, said, "The allegations of wrongful death are baloney." 
Manhattan에 있는 Chris Scanlon은 피고 단체 중 하나인Mago Earth의 변호사는 “옳지 않은 죽음에 대한 주장들은 허튼소리이다.”고 했다. 

A Dahnhak spokeswoman said neither Lee nor any other official could be reached for comment. 
단학의 대변인은 이씨나 다른 근무원들은 현재 연락이 안된다고 했다. 

Seung Huen Lee, who also goes by the name Ilchi Lee, calls himself an "educational philosopher and world-peace leader" on a Web site that claims that Dahnhak teaches "the study of energy and how to use it to achieve mastery of mind and body and illumination of the spirit." 
이승헌 또는 이 일지 로도 불리는 그는 단학이 “에너지를 연구해서 뇌, 몸, 그리고 혼을 정복하기 위해 사용하는 방법”을 가르친다고 하는 사이트에서 자신은 “교육의 철학자와 세계 평화 지도자”라고 한다. 

Dahnhak, based in Sedona, operates 50 centers in the U.S. and many more worldwide, according to the suit. There are at least 13 centers in New York, including locations on Sixth Avenue and a Dahn Yoga in Brooklyn Heights. 
Sedona에 자리잡고 있는 단학은 미국에서 50여개의 장소와, 세계적으로 퍼져있다고 기록되어 있다. 뉴욕에는 Sixth Avenue와 Brooklyn Heights에 있는 곳을 포함해서 적어도 13군데가 있다. 

Arizona police say that the Siverls case is still open but that it's unlikely anyone will be charged. 
Arizona경찰은 Siverls소송은 아직도 가능성은 있지만 아무도 기소될 것 같지 않다고 한다.